Temperature Drop Before Whelping

piper

Jazz is due on Friday with a large litter and I am starting to wonder if she is going to go early. I have been charting her temp and over the last two days it is on a gradual slide down. But from what others have said and I have read I was expecting to see a more sudden temp shift?

Her last few temps temps have been 38.1, 37.9, 37.9, 37.8 then 37.6 this morning. Priort to that they were all 38.1 or 37.9. I didn't really think much of the 37.8 last night as it was similar but then seeing a .6 this morning has made me go hmm.

She is giving no other signs of anything happening, she still wants me to play frisbee with her, she has not gone off of her food and she is showing no obvious nesting behaviour (I say no ob vious because she did buld a den in the backyard last week but she is not trying to go to it and is happy to lay about in the house or pester me to play).

We have a pre whelping check booked for tomorrow afternoon but I think if her temp goes lower I will give them a ring first thing in the morning and see if we can go in then. But I would love to hear from others with more experience if I should be getting concerned yet.

From my experience, temperature goes up and down between 37.4 & 37.8 during the last week. It then drops suddenly to approx. 36.6 (and labour starts within 6-24 hours) and gradually rises again. I take temps 3x a day from 5 days due.

Good luck to you and the expectant mum.

From my experience, temperature goes up and down between 37.4 & 37.8 during the last week. It then drops suddenly to approx. 36.6 (and labour starts within 6-24 hours) and gradually rises again. I take temps 3x a day from 5 days due.

Thanks Patters - so far she is sounding normal then :) We are doing temps 3 times a day at the moment so I guess I will have more of an idea when I do temp check number 2 for the day.

Yes, the temperature fluctuates in that last week, just enough to drive you nuts but the true drop is very distinct. Also be aware that occasionally it only drops for a few hours and goes back up again, so it is possible to miss it. Temp drop is still the best indicator of labour, but not foolproof.

Remember to count her due date from ovulation, not mating. Borders tend to mate after ovulation so a lot do whelp anywhere from day 58-63 after mating. What day did she ovulate?

I agree with Karen on the temp dropping only for a few hours and it can happen in the middle of the night when your not taking her temp only to go back up by morning. Lady's dropped at 10:30pm, well after the normal time I was taking it. I only stayed up with her that night and re took it because she started to get restless and was panting heavily. It was almost like she went into labour an hour or two before the temp drop. Other bitches I have had part of whelping have had the temp drop around the same time as onset of 1st stage labour.

Keep your eye on a drop below 37 deg. Anything higher than that and I wouldnt get too excited.

Thanks guys,

Dancinvale - she ovulated on the Sunday and was mated the Sunday and Tuesday so we are counting from the Sunday which makes it next Saturday for 63 days.

Temp just before was 37.8, so yep she is just playing tricks with my mind!! LOL

Thanks guys,

Dancinvale - she ovulated on the Sunday and was mated the Sunday and Tuesday so we are counting from the Sunday which makes it next Saturday for 63 days.

Temp just before was 37.8, so yep she is just playing tricks with my mind!! LOL

In that case it is highly unlikely that she will whelp before Thursday at the earliest. Of course anything is possible so keep an eye on her but closer to next weekend would be better. Don't let her go over Sunday next week though.

My last girl dropped gradually over the last 5 days or so from high 37's and was hovering between 36.6 to 37.1 in the 2 days before whelping. I was doing temps about 3-4 times a day, got a drop to 36.1 one morning and she gradually went into labour later that day. It was hard reading the signs though as she had big pups, and went on day 63. I had expected her to go a good few days earlier. (wish she had as pups grew to big to be born naturally)