Can Nipples Be Too Large For Pups?

meganmm

Is it possible that a bitches nipples can be too large for the pups to latch onto?

My girl is due in a week and her nipples are huge, I don't remember them being quite this large last time she had a litter and I'm wondering if they might be too big for the pups.

thanks

Megan

yes I believe it is possible.I read to put the weaker/smaller pups on the end nipples that are smaller.

My bitch had two small pups who couldn't really handle the bigger teats for a while.

and why aren't you in the May litters thread?! ;)

I had a bitch who had huge front nipples, For the first week or so I made sure only the strongest of pups sucked off those, they didn't even look like they got their mouth entirely around the nipple, but were definitely getting milk from them and she had no mastitis problems. After a week or so, all pups were big enough and strong enough to suckle off any! I wouldn't worry too much.

thanks guys, the rear nipples are definately smaller so they shouldn't pose a problem, but good to know they should be able to get milk out even if they can't get their whole mouth around. I might take her up to the vet for a quick check anyway just to make sure it's all normal.

and why aren't you in the May litters thread?!

I have actually put my girls litter in there, I just don't come in here all that often and it's easy to get lost when the thread is about 10 pages longer than I first went in ;)

bye

Megan

Went to the vets tonight and he said that they were indeed very large but still all quite normal so nothing to worry about. But as for if the pups will be able to feed from them he said we'll just have to wait and see, so I guess I better double check my bottle/formula rations in case worse comes to worse....

thanks everyone

bye

Megan