Feeding Salmon

Hi all, just want to ask those folk that feed raw if they feed salmon heads to their big dogs, and if so is there anything to be mindful of and how much/often to give to a large dog. I found the local fish market sells them fairly cheap and thought my pooch would just be loving to tuck into one of those when we get her tolerating fresh food.

Yes, I feed them once a week on average.

Do you just give as is and let them have a lovely messy time with it?

Yes I do - mine get fed outside on the deck, but they take their boney things on to the grass - so no mess!

If your dog has a sniff and isn't too keen, either try again not quite so chilled, or shake just a little bit of garlic salt on it. Fresh fish tends to have no smell and so sometimes they aren't that keen on first sniff if fed something new like that.

Thanks, yeah I'd put her out on the grass as well. Mine is stabilising from suspected IBD/food sensativity so I am slowly, slowly trying her on fresh food to get variety back into her diet. Thanks.

If your dog has a sniff and isn't too keen, either try again not quite so chilled, or shake just a little bit of garlic salt on it. Fresh fish tends to have no smell and so sometimes they aren't that keen on first sniff if fed something new like that.

Good tip - I had had no luck with fish heads and after the mess they made I didn't try again but as they eat smaller whole fish this might be just what they need.