Dog Choice Questions.

N.B MOODIE

Hello to all of you,

I've been browsing over the forums a fair bit recently, and decided now was a perfect time to make my first post. I have a question regarding my future selection of dog breed and all the areas related to it.

I've narrowed my selection down to either the English Springer Spaniel, or the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Yes, they are two very different dogs, although both are spaniels. I had a CKCS in the past, who was just an amazing companion, hence why they are in my mind still. On the other hand, at my age (I'm 19) I would love to have a more active dog that I can run with and enjoys a good romp etc...

The questions however aren't about selecting the breed, my questions relate to choosing the right breeder/puppy. My questions are as follows:

- What would be a usual price for a well-bred Springer? Obviously this varies greatly from breeder to breeder, but hopefully somebody can give me a rough idea (Not many breeders list prices, which is fair enough).

- What questions should I be asking about the breed from the breeder? (Hip testing etc...?)

- If I am unable to see the puppy in person, what should I be looking for in the photos? Obviously this makes it harder to judge temperament and see small defects, but I would hazard a guess that most breeders are quite honest people.

- What would be the cost of sending a puppy from say NSW to WA, or QLD to WA for a dog of this size roughly? I have tried to look this up, but no companies will give you a rough idea, they all want every single detail. If anyone knows roughly that would be greatly appreciated.

- Any other facts/information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I ask about transport is that I live in WA and there are no current or even future planned (from what I know) Springer puppies on the horizon, so I would need to have him/her sent over. Hence I will also not be able to see him/her in person until I've already chosen.

I've contacted one or two breeders about both types. I have been pretty picky with who I contacted, and the breeders seem like they are experienced and put the dogs interests first, which is nice. I obviously won't name the breeders, but if they are reading this then thank you for your information so far, I appreciate it.

If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking You,

Nick

Hi there - can't really answer any of your questions but did look on the puppy listings here and there are two breeders of Cavs in WA - one with a litter due in July http://trescaval.topcities.com/

and one with pups available now http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=GEMSONG

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant that there are no Springers available in WA at the moment. I'm basing my search off the dogzonline search pages, and did see those Cav breeders. Thank You though!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant that there are no Springers available in WA at the moment. I'm basing my search off the dogzonline search pages, and did see those Cav breeders. Thank You though!

Opps I just reread and you were specific - I'm just typing through the hangover from last nights Origin game.

Opps I just reread and you were specific - I'm just typing through the hangover from last nights Origin game.

Haha no worries! Yes I'm not surprised though, Queensland played well!