Where To Get Nikon Lens Serviced - Sydney

"So I just inherited my dads old 80-200mm lens. So excited about this btw :D http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80200.htm this is the lens.

I have a D80, and it works perfectly with every other lens I've tried.

But it doesn't seem to work with this lens? You can't adjust the Aperture, it just flashes "F --". The auto focus doesn't seem to work either.

I've googled and I'm thinking its either a problem with the lens or I'm missing something obvious! I'm hoping that I'm missing something. It is a older lens (5+ years at least) but it has been sitting packaged in its case for the past few years and even before that it was barely ever used.

So has anyone has a problem like this? Or am I gonna need to take it too a service place."

EDIT:

So I figured out that one of the connection points at the base of the lens is missing so it needs to go to a service place, I have been in contact with Nikon and they want to take the lens for about a week before they can even give me a quote, and a few weeks for the service and thats only if they have the parts. :( so thats 3 weeks and I don't even know if I would be able to afford whatever they quote!

So does anyone know a different place around Sydney to take a Nikon lens for a quote and hopefully good service? Or am I gonna have to suck it up and go with Nikon.

Edited by lovemesideways

Make sure you select the smallest aperture (22) on the lens itself. The aperture ring is at the top nearest the camera body. You should then be able to change the aperture on your camera as usual.

As for the AF..my only suggestion is to make sure you've set the lens to AF not MF.

Hope that helps!

Make sure you select the smallest aperture (22) on the lens itself. The aperture ring is at the top nearest the camera body. You should then be able to change the aperture on your camera as usual.

As for the AF..my only suggestion is to make sure you've set the lens to AF not MF.

Hope that helps!

Yeah I did both and it still doesn't work :( Looks like a service is needed! Damit

Hey Just seen this thread, I am not sure if this will help but I have a D80 and I have got the F-- error and each time it means the lens is not clipped onto the body properly. Is there a chance your not clipping it in perfectly? It's probly a long shot but each time I have had it happen, I have been certain the lens was attached properly but when I unattatched and reattached it wala, worked perfectly. Hoping it is something this simple for you to get you going. Looks like an awesome lense!!

Hey Just seen this thread, I am not sure if this will help but I have a D80 and I have got the F-- error and each time it means the lens is not clipped onto the body properly. Is there a chance your not clipping it in perfectly? It's probly a long shot but each time I have had it happen, I have been certain the lens was attached properly but when I unattatched and reattached it wala, worked perfectly. Hoping it is something this simple for you to get you going. Looks like an awesome lense!!

Gave it a try but still not working :( I think it must be something wrong with the connection on the lens? Hopefully the guys at Nikon will be able to help tomorrow!

SO I think I figured out whats wrong! Looks like its missing one of the little connection point at the end of the lens, amazing something so tiny could be my whole problem!! Will talk to Nikon tomorrow and maybe send them the lens to fix!