Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis Disease (hge)

Hi All,

I have had a pretty rough last couple of days, with my pregnant girl (50days), who contracted, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis disease, it all started thursday when i got home from work & there was vomit & bloody stools, everywhere, & her head hanging over the water bowl, I quickly rushed her down to my vet, they first asked me if she had been fully vaccinated as she had all the symptoms of parvo, & of course she was, the gave her a shot of anti vomit injection & antibiotics, she then gave her an ultrasound, to make sure all the pups where fine, which they were but at this stage my main concern was her....the vet said they could keep her there however like she stated nobody would be there till the morning, so we opted to bring her home where i could keep a good watch on her, the vet said they either recover real good or go pear shape & be dead in 24hrs..... you could imagine my thoughts, we made it through the night & went back friday morning & she had picked up quiet a bi, there was still quite a bit of blood when she gave her an anal examination, she said she still not out of the woods & gave me more antibiotics to give her.... when i got home i looked it up on the net, & said its quite common in small & med sized breeds, from 2 to 4 yrs of age & once they have had it can reoccur, they are not sure on how they get it & thankfully its not contagious, she is back to her normal self this morning, & back to the vet for a check up..............so fingers crossed........ it just goes to show how i had a healthy dog when i left for work, & came home to this......

*********** UPDATE all is good now still continuing with antibiotics vet given her the all clear THANK GODDDDDDDDDDD *************

My poodle Darcy has had two bouts of HGE. Both required hospitalisation.

Did the vet do a PCV (packed cell volume) blood test? If not, find a new vet IMO. The biggest killer in HGE is chronic dehydration.. organ shutdown is what kills within 24 hours

Intravenous fluids are usually the first response. Had she been my dog, I'd have left her in the vets overnight on a drip.

I would have her on a very bland diet for the next week.

If it happens again (and I hope it doesn't) get them to check her potassium levels - depleted potassium is one symptom of HGE.

Edited by poodlefan

What Poodlefan said! Just recently she gave me some advice regarding HGE, if you search, my thread will come up. They should have kept her on a drip. I went through a mild case with Arnie. Glad to hear your lovely girl is better now, hope all goes well with the pups.

My poodle Darcy has had two bouts of HGE. Both required hospitalisation.

Did the vet do a PCV (packed cell volume) blood test? If not, find a new vet IMO. The biggest killer in HGE is chronic dehydration.. organ shutdown is what kills within 24 hours

Intravenous fluids are usually the first response. Had she been my dog, I'd have left her in the vets overnight on a drip.

I would have her on a very bland diet for the next week.

If it happens again (and I hope it doesn't) get them to check her potassium levels - depleted potassium is one symptom of HGE.

This.

A PCV is the most common way to diagnose HGE. If it is HGE, they really should be hospitalised and put on fluids.

Yes, I lost a beloved hound to this hiddeous disease back in 2007 and she never had any symptoms previously.

I found her dead on her lounge - she had bleed out during the night - not a single sound from her - PM diagnosed HGE.

How, why - questions I will always have as she had been so healthy. :cry:

Yes, I lost a beloved hound to this hiddeous disease back in 2007 and she never had any symptoms previously.

I found her dead on her lounge - she had bleed out during the night - not a single sound from her - PM diagnosed HGE.

How, why - questions I will always have as she had been so healthy. :cry:

So sorry to hear that Beauie. :(

My vet told me that HGE is triggered by a range of possible assaults on the immune system. The trigger can be a toxin, a bacteria or a virus. Not much help really.

I am so glad to hear that your doggy is doing well. :thumbsup:

My experience has been bad. I have lost one dog to HGE and seen another go at the vet hospital where I worked for a while. It was a horrible death in both cases.

I understand that it's a bug that lives in the soil and can be picked up anywhere. Fortunately it isn't that common.

Best wishes for you and your dog!

Cairo1