Choosing Our Next Dog

Zug Zug

My standard is not high energy or very active at all. She is a year and 3 months old and perfectly content with one or two 20min walks a day. We might go on a longer walk on the weekend, or take her to the river for a swim, but sometimes we don't go anywhere on the weekend at all and she is happy just pottering about in the backyard. We both work full-time and she doesn't have an issue with that at all. This dog loves to sleep. Her second favorite thing is probably play so we play with her and her toys a lot.

As far as barking goes she is a warning barker and will alert us when someone is at the door, but has otherwise never been a nuisance barker.

We love this breed and wouldn't hesitate to get another spoo.

(We have also had an Lagotto before but she was an older dog and so I don't think I can compare the two.)

If you have always wanted a Standard then go ahead and do it now. They are wonderful dogs and you sound like you are well prepared to deal with the training, exercise and grooming required. Remember active, smart dogs can be easily tired out with lots of short training sessions at home, faster than they can be by just walking them. Physical exercise is important but not as important as mental exercise.

The lifestyle you have described would be fine for most Border Collies and I doubt most Poodles would have a problem with it either. I think the key is to find the right puppy. Temperament and activity level varies in all litters of all breeds, so you need a knowledgable breeder to select a quiet or middle of the road puppy for you, rather than a hyperactive one.

An active 12.5 year old mini cross is nowhwere near being an old dog with many of that type making 15-18 years and if she is a fairly tough little lady she would probably have the baby Standard well and truly working to her rules in a very short time. I have friends with 2 Maltese that took on a very large and boisterous Labrador. All entire males. The younger Malt quickly became the pack leader and the Lab is very careful how he interacts with the tiny Malts so a big dog with smaller ones often work out fine. I also know someone else that has a Bullmastiff with Japanese Spitz with no problem. The Bullmastiff plays very gently with the spitz babies even when they are really tiny. Temperament of the individuals concerned is more important than size and with agile breeds you have even less chance of the bigger dog accidently sitting on the smaller ones.

If you have your heart set on a Standard Poodle, why not slightly adjust your lifestyle to accommodate one?

If you have a decent sized backyard, a good 15 minute game of fetch would take the edge off most dogs on those days when you are too tired to walk at night. If you do it in the morning too, combined with a training session, then that's a pretty good way to tire out a young dog and it doesn't take up too much of your time. Your daughter could even help you out there.

I see so many older, unfit people out walking high energy breeds and they seem to make it work- its not that hard, just takes commitment.

From your previous posts, you sound to me like a highly responsible and extremely involved owner, I'm sure you would do all you could to ensure a safe environment for your older dog. Especially if you follow Dancingbc's advice and get a breeder to choose you a more laid back pup. You are a trainer, I imagine you would have a better idea than most how to do this? :)

I say go for it! :thumbsup:

I have a very active young dog (different breed) who would cope with the amount of exercise you are offering. She would probably be a bit naughty though, ripping up beds and such, if you could handle that :laugh:

The only thing is, she is 17kg but I wouldn't leave her with a smaller dog unattended. She tries to be gentle but isn't always successful :o Our older, 36kg dominant male keeps her in line, but only barely.

All the young standard poodles I know are extremely active, high drive and vocal.

One of them plays with my young lab and the two of them are as mad as each other. The difference is that my dog doesn't bark during play (where as the poodle does) though perhaps this is a training issue.

The two std poodles we see at agility are extremely vocal and drivey dogs.

I really think a standard would have the same exercise requirements as a Lab, GSP or any other active gundog.

I guess it also depends on the individual- perhaps you could ask the breeder for a more laid back pup?

The lagottos I've met seem more relaxed.

I think it's a lot to do with the breeding. Our breeder breeds for calm, laid back, sweet natured spoos and that's exactly what we got. However I have also seen other spoos that have been a bit nutty so I guess choosing the right breeder is as important as choosing the right breed

I think it's a lot to do with the breeding. Our breeder breeds for calm, laid back, sweet natured spoos and that's exactly what we got. However I have also seen other spoos that have been a bit nutty so I guess choosing the right breeder is as important as choosing the right breed

Spoos? Not a breed I'm familiar with...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have been thinking a lot about this overnight and this morning.

My current thinking is that I really want a Standard Poodle. I don't think I realised how much I really wanted one until I started thinking about not getting one. I know this is an emotional thing, but I am really attached to this idea. I won't make a decision yet (a bit soon for me) but in terms of possibly going that way I have been thinking along the following lines ...

- I know an SA breeder who breeds slightly smaller standards from Swedish lines etc. They are wonderful dogs and fairly lightly built. But I have been thinking about a male (mainly because I think Zamba might not appreciate another female). Given a male is likely to be larger in size, I am now wondering if a smaller female pup may be something to discuss further with this breeder. Not sure - will ponder that some more...

- I will definitely take up the suggestion of requesting a medium to lower drive dog or bitch that will not be too overwhelming for Zamba. Probably medium. She is very high drive (she used to be utterly bonkers - now well trained but still high energy), so a low drive puppy could actually suffer for the opposite reason. (Mozart was low drive - she really did torment him at times. Zamba can be bossy.)

- I don't mind barking during play. Zamba does that now. I mind persistent barking, mainly because of the stress this could cause our neighbours.

- Zamba's safety and sanity is really important to me. I will give some serious thought to how I could keep them physically separated while I'm at work if and when that proves necessary. She does love her crate and would be ok to sleep the day in there from time to time for respite. If it was every day, that would become a bit harder and we might need to build something more substantial in that case. I will give this some serious thought and make sure I have a back-up plan ready.

- Definitely separate crates to sleep in! Not something that I'd been thinking about but this will be a more considerate approach I think. Zamba and Mozart always shared their crate, but they were joined at the hip, so it's different.

- I am certainly happy to make some daily adjustments to help a pup (of whatever breed or size) be active and happy. Morning and evening training will be a given - I want to compete with this dog and I love training so that would be a joy for me. Fetch is also a definitely possibility on a more regular basis and we have a nice long backyard with plenty of space for that, so that is also a great suggestion. If I need to go for more frequent walks, then fine I'll do that too. The hardest bit is getting out the door. I enjoy the actual walking bit.

Yes I am a trainer - so yes I have a reasonable level of knowledge about dogs and training issues. I am also someone who likes to plan ahead, and I consider this to be a big decision and I will keep thinking about it for a few months yet.

I really appreciate your feedback - I've never had a Standard or a Lagotto before and you've made me aware of some issues I hadn't considered previously.

Thank you all very much!

I have two standards a toy and a Jack russell and think the exercise needs depend more on the individual dog and not always the breed. My nine year old female standard never stops and pesters us to throw the ball constantly. Our eight year old male who is nearly twice the size of Ella would sleep his life away. The toy will sleep all day as well but take her to the park and she would out run a rabbit.

I walk them all for an hour every morning and in the afternoons we play ball in our yard.

If you do your own grooming you are way ahead, good luck with what ever you decide. :D