What Shall I Do?

saxonsmum

I have bought some comfortis for saxon as sentinal doesnt seem to be working.. tho i will continue to give him the tablets for the worms as they have the heartworm included. I bought the 27.1 - 54kg as they come in 6 tablet form and it will then continue for the months later. I took him to the vet for a weight check and he came in at 23.9 which i thought is great as he is 5 months old on 21st june. I explained to the lady at the desk, that i had just bought comfortis and told her the size that it said 27.1- 54 kg. She said that it would be ok to give him the comfortis as long as you give it him with with a full meal..which is fair enough. Does this sound a little wierd or would it be ok to give him the tablet.... :confused:

Guest english.ivy

I'd say it would be ok as he's going to gain weight everyday :) And yeah I would give it to him after dinner, less irritation to his tummy.

Why don't you give him just half a tablet...enough to treat a dog up to 27 kilos then. This is the advice I was given by my supplier who is a kelpie breeder & she divides the tablets up to treat her multiple dogs...no problems...dogs are healty & no fleas. They can be a little tricky to halve, but try scoring the tablet first down the middle.

Guest english.ivy

I was told that it is safer to just give a whole tablet as you can't be sure how much of the "drug" is in which half of the tablet.

I was told that it is safer to just give a whole tablet as you can't be sure how much of the "drug" is in which half of the tablet.

I'm only going by what this supplier told me....she has 14 kelpies & divides her tablets up (far more economical) & it works for her. I can't for the life of me see why the active ingredient wouldn't be evenly mixed. It's not as if they get a tablet & then mix the stuff in...it would be mixed up in a huge vat then made into tablets IMO :)

Tablets are very evenly milled. If this wasn't the case, you'd be no more certain of how much of the drug was in a whole tablet either.

I think Sheena meant you gave him a full tablet when you possibly only needed half, meaning going through tablets quicker, meaning $$$ for the vet ;) (correct me if I've misinterpreted)

Don't worry about it, you asked for advice, considered it and made your own decision. Your dog, your money, your choice :)