Good Dog Clubs?

Proud new owner of my first staffy, looking into getting her into obedience classes, can anyone recommend me a good club in south east melbourne?

Cranbourne, berwick, frankston areas.

Southern Cross Animal Stars train at WoofPurNay vet centre at Narre Warren North - huge indoor area. Evening classes as well as Saturdays and Sundays. Berwick Obedience Club, also at Narre Warren. You could look at all their websites for more info.

Proud new owner of my first staffy, looking into getting her into obedience classes, can anyone recommend me a good club in south east melbourne?

Welcome Staffy person :)

Westernport Obedience club, training on Sun mornings from 9am, Tues evening start at 7pm in the Pavilon at Kcc Park

Berwick Obedience club Mac Kenzies lane Narree Warren Nrth , train on Sat alvo, not sure what time they start

Both these clubs have web sites :D

Southern Cross Animal Stars train at WoofPurNay vet centre at Narre Warren North - huge indoor area. Evening classes as well as Saturdays and Sundays. Berwick Obedience Club, also at Narre Warren. You could look at all their websites for more info.

I joined Berwick Obedience Club when I lived in Menzies Creek - I found their training methods VERY strange - they also seemed to be an unfriendly, cliquey bunch :( Useless training your dog there if you are considering trialling at all.

I joined Berwick Obedience Club when I lived in Menzies Creek - I found their training methods VERY strange - they also seemed to be an unfriendly, cliquey bunch :( Useless training your dog there if you are considering trialling at all.

Can you elaborate on 'VERY strange'. I've never been a member of Berwick but I've been debating whether to join the club for some time, not for basic training but to do trial ring practices and maybe a bit of agility.

I was a member of Berwick years ago & yes I do agree do it their way or hit the Highway. I had a run in with them about my daughter training, so we left

We are now members of Westernport , they are great, they work with you & the dog if you just want to learn for the sake of learning that is great :D

very friendly not just the committee but also general members BBQ is on everyweek

If you want to trial they will help there as well

Agility is what my daughter does & enjoys it, the instructors have been working great guns with her :laugh:

Can you elaborate on 'VERY strange'. I've never been a member of Berwick but I've been debating whether to join the club for some time, not for basic training but to do trial ring practices and maybe a bit of agility.

Looking at it from the point of view of someone who had been an Instructor & was possibly interested in trialling again, the training was useless - no check chains, dogs not taught to heel etc. Also, there was a LOT of standing around doing nothing while the Instructor was schmoozing with her favourite students and dogs :( . She didn't like Poodles (hey, not everyone does, I know) and seemed to make up her mind from the start that Harrison wouldn't be any good.

Looking at it from the point of view of someone who had been an Instructor & was possibly interested in trialling again, the training was useless - no check chains, dogs not taught to heel etc. Also, there was a LOT of standing around doing nothing while the Instructor was schmoozing with her favourite students and dogs :( . She didn't like Poodles (hey, not everyone does, I know) and seemed to make up her mind from the start that Harrison wouldn't be any good.

Not sure why you think that, check chains are fine at Berwick, we even sell them in the shop but we do encourage handlers to try training on a flat collar using positive methods. Heeling is a core part of training although it is not trialling standards in lower classes as we focus on teaching people who just want well behaved dogs to start with before going to tighter heeling and more advanced obedience in the higher classes and off lead in the highest class.