Vets Encouraging Backyard Breeding...

puddles

one of the vets at the practice I attend lectured me for 10 minutes on why purebred pugs are health nightmares and I should of bought a crossbreed, and that if he took an x-ray of Bert's back I would be horrfied and Bert is probably in constant pain from his genetic abnormalities apparent in all pugs.

Needless to say, I havent seen that vet since.

When I worked at one vet hospital I was seen as very weird for wanting toparticipate in shows dog sports etc. I was just about the anti-Christ for having a pedigree registered entire dog.

Was a bit of a bang back to earth when we had had a great weekend away , and you would walk in and the onepersonwho didn't think I was weird would ask how you had gone and you were happily sharing the news to have others walk past with down right rude and dispareging remarks.

I got this at uni as well.

I was even accused of adding to the numbers of unwanted dogs because I had a registered litter by people in my year!

No vet wants to see unhealthy dogs. Many just dont know that there are ethical responsible breeders out there and have not been exposed to them I guess.

Edited by ~Woofen~

Vets gave never discouraged backyard breeding and they have no reason to. They are medical practicioners, not the breeding police.

And no medical practitioner in their right mind should encourage something that eventuates in likely genetic health issues for the offspring, not to mention health risks posed to the whelping bitch.. particularly if owned by someone that doesn't have a clue.

I'm lucky too. My boss has a rescue and a purebred, and they went to dog shows to meet and greet breeders and meet their dogs etc. He's also very quick to discourage BYBing too.

Stormie, was it you that once posted about swimming in your bosses pool on your lunch break??

Where do you work, Utopia Vet Hospital? :laugh:

I'm lucky too. My boss has a rescue and a purebred, and they went to dog shows to meet and greet breeders and meet their dogs etc. He's also very quick to discourage BYBing too.

Stormie, was it you that once posted about swimming in your bosses pool on your lunch break??

Yep, that also me :o

Yep, that was also me :o

Need a new VN by any chance? :whisper:

Yep, that was also me :o

Need a new VN by any chance? :whisper:

hmm well I wouldn't mind an extra person to answer the phone at morning tea time, so I can enjoy my espresso and food platter :laugh:

Ok so IMO this is pretty slack!

A vet in Bundaberg has started selling pups and kittens, you know they type, those overpriced 'purebreds' that come from who knows where!!

And here I was, thinking that vets were meant to be promoting the demise of 'backyard breeders' and puppy farmers. Isn't this just encouraging them??

Just my thoughts :)

This doesn't totally suprise me, and I think I know which one. I was in there the other day and noticed puppies and kittens in cages up the back. Is it the one that's just gotten a lot bigger right near the big shopping centre? I am really happy I use Isis Vets for all of our refuge dogs, he would certainly never do anything like that.

Ok so IMO this is pretty slack!

A vet in Bundaberg has started selling pups and kittens, you know they type, those overpriced 'purebreds' that come from who knows where!!

And here I was, thinking that vets were meant to be promoting the demise of 'backyard breeders' and puppy farmers. Isn't this just encouraging them??

Just my thoughts :)

This doesn't totally suprise me, and I think I know which one. I was in there the other day and noticed puppies and kittens in cages up the back. Is it the one that's just gotten a lot bigger right near the big shopping centre? I am really happy I use Isis Vets for all of our refuge dogs, he would certainly never do anything like that.

I'm sure that's the one, right near the shopping centre that no longer has a pet shop.