Failure To Tie From Experienced Dogs

Wilderblu

I'm just wondering the possible reasons behind a bitch and dog failing to tie or produce any pups? Bitch has tied and has successful litters with other dogs and dog has tied without any trouble and produced pups with other bitches. Bitch stands solid for him for 4-5 days and he tries his hardest but with no tie? Just wondering if anyone had any ideas? I've attempted 2 matings so far and thinking maybe another stud or maybe a repro vet?

Is he actually penetrating ? even partially ?

2 attempted matings is not much. She may be a slightly different height or angle internally.

He may need to have a few more tries.

Timing may be out even though she stands. Otherwise check her for obstruction & him for a sore back or penis.

Bitch stands solid for him for 4-5 days but then 2 mating attempts is a bit confusing ?

Was bitch standing & dog not interested ? Or did you only allow 2 tries ?

Have you prog tested at all?

Dogs can slip mate with no tie and produce puppies.

Is he willing to let you assist or does he pull away if you go near?

As Christine has asked, is he actually penetrating?

If you havent prog tested at all I would suggest you do so. And get the results back as soon as possible. Ideally a vet who can process the bloods on site.

Sorry..... didn't mean to confuse. lol I have put them together for 2 different seasons. He tried from day 10-15 each time plus she was mega flirty and standing for him over this time. Penetration with no tie. She has no obstruction and he has tied with ease another bitch near her second season and doesn't behave or appear sore in anyway.

I was thinking the other day that she has come into season synchronising with another bitch both times and actually out of synch for her "normal" so possibly not a proper season?

Possible. My 3 girls always come in about the same time. Early last time at 4 months & a week.

One that has got pregnant previously with only 2 matings & once with a quick slip mating did not get pregnant this time despite 2 matings with a tie, so its quite a possible reason.

If he has not succeeded in getting her pregnant for 2 entirely seperate seasons & matings & they are both fine mated to other dogs maybe it is natures way of telling you something.

Another stud dog now will complicate things if she has already got pregnant from the slip mating.

I was thinking the other day that she has come into season synchronising with another bitch both times and actually out of synch for her "normal" so possibly not a proper season?

Possible. My 3 girls always come in about the same time. Early last time at 4 months & a week.

One that has got pregnant previously with only 2 matings & once with a quick slip mating did not get pregnant this time despite 2 matings with a tie, so its quite a possible reason.

If he has not succeeded in getting her pregnant for 2 entirely seperate seasons & matings & they are both fine mated to other dogs maybe it is natures way of telling you something.

Another stud dog now will complicate things if she has already got pregnant from the slip mating.

Yeah last 2 seasons have been 4 months apart where normally she would be 7 months apart. I'm hoping she will now have a break and go another 6-7 months and maybe have a real season otherwise it's of to the vets I think and possibly another stud dog maybe. ;)

I have a girl who has been very hard to mate. I have a few ideas that may be the problem?

She came into season the first time at 11 months old, then evey 6 months after that, I tried to mate her on the thrid season, Male tried for days but never got it, The next season yes he got it this time 7 puppies.

So I give her a year off then tried again no good, but by this time the male has sired 3 more litters with other females. So the next season put her with a younger male and no missed again :eek: then the next season did fresh AI no nothing :eek: . So Then when she came in again I decided that my best bet was to put my new stud over her and yep he got her. :) She is right now day 61 and waiting :D

I did notice that all the other times she came into season one of my other females would come in a few days after her and the male would lose intrested in her realy fast and want to get in with the other female. I also noticed this time that no others were in season and they mated day 7-9 not day 13-15 as i was thinking they would.

This will be her last litter as she will be 6 years old by the time the pups go, and I am hoping to keep a girl out of it. I think I have been waiting for to long now.

Hopinhg to name the pup some thing down the lines of, good things come to those that wait, miracles do happen, long time coming, dreams do come ture :laugh:

I have had the same trouble with one of my bitches, at the same time I have had another bitch in season. I had her prog tested and she was smack bang on, no tie etc to an experienced dog that has had numerous litters. This happened twice. This time my other bitch came in first and got pregnant. She didnt come in with her. She came in 3 months later and had a tie with a different dog. We are only 3 weeks down the track so not sure if we are successful or not but it did seem like she had a "full season".

PS I would try both next time if need be, new dog and vet. The other dog that you may try is he near by? If one doesnt work you can always try the other?

Edited by oakeydoak1

Dont ask me how but sometimes a Pug dog knows if the bitch has an infection and just wont tie. Which is why I usually put a bitch in season on a cause of AB's just to make sure...some dogs are very clever at knowing what is going on with a bitch, more than what we know.