Microchipping

Tilly

Interesting, I never knew Greys were exempt.

Well.. some greys.

The exemption applies for dogs that are currently registered with Racing Services Tasmania so that exlcudes all retired dogs as retiring a dog (with the form) means the dog is no longer registered.

As a person living in NSW, you as the previous owner are REQUIRED to submit the change of owner paperwork to your local council

NOT

the people you are selling or giving the animals awy to.

I always chip my pups in my name- so if the new owner forgets to change details etc I get the phone call!! Its scary to think that there are chips out there with no information on them at all!!

I'm assuming that's for council rego though (for which the dog must be 6 months+ in most councils in Tasmania and I'm sure most councils on the mainland would be the same), councils don't generally deal with microchip registrations/chang of ownerships because they don't run the chip registries.

If Woofen is selling pups under that age that aren't registered with the council, (down here, at least) she wouldn't be breaking any laws (although now they would at least have to be chipped).

Indeed, as far as I know there is no obligation to have any details on the chip... you just have to have the chip in the dog.

When I first registered my mob when we moved they only asked for the chip number, no mention of what name or address it was registered under.

Hardy's, do you know why racing greys are exempt? Just seems odd to me, would it be because they change hands often?

in NSW, council is the only organisation that is responsible for the microchipping and registration details and the updating of the NSW Companion Animal Register

all cats and dogs must be microchipped by 12 weeks of age and registered with local council by 6 months....that is the law.

on the form the owner is required to supply name, address, phone numbers, breed, age, colour etc and this must be signed.

when selling or giving away an animal you must complete the "old" owner details and sign and the "new' owners must complete their side and sign then the old owner submits that form to council

All this is just for NSW

As a person living in NSW, you as the previous owner are REQUIRED to submit the change of owner paperwork to your local council

NOT

the people you are selling or giving the animals awy to.

I always chip my pups in my name- so if the new owner forgets to change details etc I get the phone call!! Its scary to think that there are chips out there with no information on them at all!!

I'm assuming that's for council rego though (for which the dog must be 6 months+ in most councils in Tasmania and I'm sure most councils on the mainland would be the same), councils don't generally deal with microchip registrations/chang of ownerships because they don't run the chip registries.

If Woofen is selling pups under that age that aren't registered with the council, (down here, at least) she wouldn't be breaking any laws (although now they would at least have to be chipped).

Indeed, as far as I know there is no obligation to have any details on the chip... you just have to have the chip in the dog.

When I first registered my mob when we moved they only asked for the chip number, no mention of what name or address it was registered under.

Hardy's, do you know why racing greys are exempt? Just seems odd to me, would it be because they change hands often?

The racing industry down here weren't at all keen on chipping dogs (in fact, when I was running GAP here, they questioned me on my policy of chipping dogs) but the reason they got the exemption.. :shrug:

I can only assume it's because racing greyhounds aren't considered to be companion animals but if that's the case, in my opinion, it's not a good enough reason.

We get our fosters chipped but not registered. When a new home comes up, we can register the chip then and that ensures the new owner is on the chip and they can change/update their details whenever they need to, online.

It also means we get a choice of registry- our vet registers chips with the National Pet Register and I'll admit I'm not keen on supporting that registry as they're affiliated with The Lost Dogs Home.

Typos

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Guest bigdogg

I have 3 pigdogs - i microchipped them myself and also registered them with AAR.. Few years ago now though..