How To Stop The Chewing

One more thing - what access to large meaty bones does she have?

Poodlefan, she doesn't get large bones as we've had to deal witha stomach issue with this one. She can't have lamb bones, or marrow bones or we end up at the vets. She's that bad she bleeds. So I feed her chicken carcasses which she's fine on and semi frozen atlantic salmon heads which she can tolerate as well. She loves them. She completely destroys large marrow bones. None of our previous were able to do that but she can't have them.

I have put all her toys in a milk crate so she has to pull them out one at a time. Today she has decided the milk crate is far more satisfying. Lots of damage on the crate but thats better then the house.

Interesting. I have a theory that dogs that don't get things to chew will find them to fulfill an inate need to do so. Can I suggest you find the biggest nylabone on the market and try her on that?

I read somewhere that chewing can produce serotonin - the 'happy' chemical in the brain. Giving her something appropriate to chew may solve the problem. if she doesn't eat the stuff she chews to bits something like a motor cycle tyre might be worth trying.

Will look at the nylabone as an addition. I didn't know if they were worth buying as in the dogs actually liking them. She doesn have a tendency to eat what she chews as well.

Have you tried big cardboard boxes? They can rip them into a zillion tiny pieces and neither of mine seem to feel the need to eat the pieces.

Mine also love tough plastic bottles like large juice bottles. I put food in them and screw the lid on tight. I think they like it because it makes a lot of noise :laugh: You just have to be careful if they puncture them though as they can get pretty sharp. The juice bottles seem pretty hardy.

If you don't trust her recall I wouldn't be letting her off leash. Get a long tracking line, or even just a long rope with a clip at the end (much cheaper than a proper tracking line). Make it a light rope, and don't use it to drag her around, so it's like she's off leash, but you have control if you need it.

Get a long tracking line, or even just a long rope with a clip at the end (much cheaper than a proper tracking line).

I use the plastic coated wire/cable sold in hardware stores :) get someone good with knots to attach a swivel clip to one end .. and make a loop at the other end. Thread a belt thru the loop .. clip dog on the other end .. and off you go! handsfree longline :)

Get a long tracking line, or even just a long rope with a clip at the end (much cheaper than a proper tracking line).

I use the plastic coated wire/cable sold in hardware stores :) get someone good with knots to attach a swivel clip to one end .. and make a loop at the other end. Thread a belt thru the loop .. clip dog on the other end .. and off you go! handsfree longline :)

Been meaning to check out the hardware for something cheaper. I will tomorrow as I drive past it tomorrow. Good suggestion.

Will look at the nylabone as an addition. I didn't know if they were worth buying as in the dogs actually liking them. She doesn have a tendency to eat what she chews as well.

Nylabone "shavings" are safe if eaten (passed through).

I believe chewing is subjective - some are never over it. My boy's around 8yr and chews Kongs like there's no tomorrow. He's chewed 2 to pieces (1 puppy, 1 senior version), chewed the top off a regular red one (took him 8 months of daily chewing) and doesn't like the black one (not squishy enough).

I don't think you can stop a chewer from chewing, only redirect it to proper chew objects. For these dogs, chewing = feel good so when they've managed to chew through something (regardless of whether it's appropriate chew object or not), it reinforces the behaviour - kinda similar with stealing food (every success = reward). Would love to hear if it's curable though - I want mine to be able to sleep with a plush toy without finding a crime scene the morning after :D