Fence Troubles...

Aztec Gold

As I said in the other topic (when to desex big dogs), we occasionally have a dog that gets into our yard by jumping over a part of the fence. Here is a pic. Where our metal fence meets the wooden one, even though there is a good 1.5m drop, the dog (blue heeler X) still jumps in.

2ypnnli.jpg

When we first moved in, there was like a rectangular piece of metal, similar to what is on clothes airers, that they somehow stuck up there. However that mysteriously disappeared and didn't look very appealing, so our guess is the neighbour on that side got rid of it. As the neighbour's driveway area has no fence, the dog runs through there and over the fence. What can we do to stop this? Any ideas?

Also, on the other side, again, there used to be something the same as the other fence (clothes airer thingy look alike) up, but again, somehow it has disappeared. Next door seems to have acquired two dogs in the last week (small cross breed thing, and a lab x), and here is a pic of our fence with her. We also need something to put up there, to stop or much likely prevent our dog from jumping into her yard in the future.

fjmhkz.jpg

And lastly, out the back, as the old tenants here had two dogs who used to dig a bit I'm guessing, there is random hole beginnings around the fenceline like this:

35aki3d.jpg

They must have tried filling them with rocks and old bits of wood. What is a good way to fix these to prevent our pup from finding them and trying to make them bigger?

Thank you!!!

Is this your own house or are you renting?

If it was my house I would get some nicely styled angle pieces made up to join with the metal fence and form a barrier over the corner and out along the wooden fence to stop a dog jumping in (1.5 metres is not a very big drop for a bigger-than toy sized dog). Attach them properly (probably need ot get your neighbours permission) and it could look tidy and as if it belongs.

ETA: Digging along the fenceline, rocks are probably the best way to go so put them all back in and tramp them down firmly. If a dog is bored and frustrated it will dig and climb and chew to get out - so it's up to you to stop this happening with your puppy!

Edited by Sandra777

We're renting :(

Will get some more rocks and go about fixing the holes! Thank you! And I know a bored and frustrated dog will try to get out and we will do our best to not make our dog bored and frustrated lol, but just want to fix the yard to make it perfect for him :)

Even if you're renting it wouldn't hurt to talk to the neighbour and ask if they'd mind you putting something neat and tidy up to stop the dog jumping in - take photos of your pup and say your getting him soon and want to keep him safe from stray dogs - a cute puppy face usually helps most conversations, plus it's a good way of telling them you are getting a puppy and perhaps asking them to let you know straight away if he's being annoying if you're not there.

Yep, I would talk to the neighbour and see what can jointly be proposed to fix the problem. It's always a good way to start to help good neighbour relationships. That way you can do as suggested above and ask them to let you know if the pup is barking etc in your absence.

We had newish neighbours and the dogs would bark non-stop when they left the house. My other neighbour was getting annoyed as she had a baby. I suggested to go around and talk to them or pop a polite note in the letter box letter them know the problem as they mightn't know and you wouldn't if you weren't told. Once they knew they at least lessoned the problem and when they went out at night the dogs were put in the garage which as least made the barking more tolerable for the rest of us as and they seem to quietened down as well.

I would put the rocks back in and then fill on top and hope for the best. If there are dogs next door you tend to get fence digging more. That's the one thing we are lucky with is no fence running or digging to get out. But we have spontenous digging in the middle of the yard instea.....gotta love em!

Also I would definitely try to put some sort of barrier up in that corner for your dog. Just read your other post. Mine would be able to scale the retaining wall without to much effort. Dogs that I have known that have gotten out while young have tended to become escape artists so I would suggest trying to ensure that it can't happen.