Advice On Adopting Greyhound Or Whippet?

Lugeanjaam

I have not owned Whippets, but have two Greyhounds. I have to put in a vote for the Greys.

My two were from an adoption program. Greys have got to be among the easiest dogs you will ever own. For the most part - don't dig, don't bark, don't smell, don't shed (not like a Collie, Shepherd, Labrador anyway).

They require absoloutly minimal brushing (a quick once over with a horse block) and as said previously only get washed as a treat when i am washing the rest of the team.

Mine are atrocious food thieves but I am not sure that is specific to the breed.

If you find an ex racer they are so used to be being walked, handled etc they tend to tolerate children very well.

I would think the larger size of the Greys can be a tremendous thing for children as they are unlikely to trip over them, step on them and they are just that little bit hardier for the occasional rough play. Also - they have the potential to look "intimidating enough" should the kids like to start walking to the shops by themselve or similar. I never feel scared walking my pack.

Probably the only pain in having an ex racer greyhound is NEVER being able to take them off lead - eg down the beach or in the park. Thier recall can be too hit and miss to take that chance, plus they can be literally "gone in seconds" if they set thier mind to it. So if your set up would allow kids (or grown ups) to occasionally forget to latch a door or a gate - you may need to consider this point.

Good on you for doing your research. I hope it all works out well for you.

Which town are you in?

Colliehound