Goodbye Tana The Police Dog

mrs tornsocks

http://au.news.yahoo.com/opinion/post/-/blog/sallyeeles/post/28/comment/1/

We had to put our old dog, Tana, to sleep last week.

It was cancer. Not that we knew. He had hidden it so well that when the pain finally became too much, it was too late.

We spent a lot of his last few nights and days, lying beside him on the garage floor – wondering whether we’d done enough; whether he really knew how much he was loved.

We’ve been through this heartache before. We’ve said goodbye to much-loved pets. We have a template for grief. We know the ache does fade with time. We know the void that exists, will eventually become normality. We know that one day we’ll look back and smile at fond memories.

But right now, it just hurts.

There is no one to nuzzle my legs as I peg clothes on the line; no one to drop a ball at my feet; no one to eat the never-ending stream of leftovers from the kids’ dinner plates; no brown eyes pleading at me through the kitchen window for a tidbit.

Four-year-old Sassy Princess doesn’t cope with sorrow. She tells us off if we mention Tana’s name and yet, she’ll tell complete strangers the whole sorry tale. Oddly, all of the patients in her "play" hospital at the moment have cancer.

Seven-year-old Junior SNAG set up a shrine with a photo and the doggy treats Tana never got to eat. Every now and then, sadness flickers across his eyes as a memory strikes him. I shall never forget the way his face crumpled when I told him he had to say his last goodbye… or his wail as Tana was driven away for the final time.

And yet, our children are more resilient than the grown-ups. We’ve spent the past week existing in a fog.

I’ve heard plenty of people say that their dogs are like family members. Well Tana was that, and more. He was part of a dream: my husband’s dream, which became our way of life.

Since he was a child, my husband wanted to be a police dog handler. After lots of hard work, he achieved that goal, taking ownership of the adored Police Dog Oscar on 9 August 1998. Later, came the alert P.D. Tana, eventually followed by the energetic P.D. Quattro.

Our house was designed to fit the dream. We’re situated right beside a large park – perfect for training and exercising German Shepherds. There’s a big backyard (i.e. canine playground) and a fenced off doggy zone, complete with lockable indoor/outdoor kennels.

At one point we had three dogs (the past, present and future of policing), two cats, two kids under three, two full-time jobs and a household to run. They were crazy, exhausting times.

But then, sadly, we lost Oscar in 2008. And early this year, we gave Quattro to another handler. My husband had reluctantly decided to leave the dog squad because the demands of the job and a young family were no longer compatible.

Yet through it all, we had Tana to ease the loss and console us… in all of his many phases.

A naughty pup that destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of plants in record time; that chewed through four brand new shoes (only the right ones): that nibbled the fur trim of a friend’s jacket while she was wearing it; that routinely broke through the fence to visit the dog next door.

An agile and super-keen worker with an amazing ability to sniff out the tiniest of clues, and make sure offenders did not forget him in a hurry.

A loyal mate and colleague that never let the side down – and in fact saved my husband from a number of precarious positions.

A smart dog able to learn new tricks, read a situation and react appropriately. I’m still in awe of the time he edged between me and my then-toddler son in full-tantrum mode. He shielded me from the flailing arms and kicking legs, yet did not show a hint of aggression to the child.

A mellow old gentleman that put up with the antics of two noisy kids, played with them and showed them nothing but love.

Then 9 August 2011 came, and took Tana away too.

Exactly 13 years to the day since it began… the dream was over.

Now, none of the three doggy beds has a furry face lying on it.

I was reluctant to welcome Tana at the start. I hated the idea of Oscar being replaced. But most of all, I hated the thought of knowing I’d have to face this day, when, after wheedling his way into my affections, Tana would leave, gouging a hole in my heart.

So now we look out for the sunsets. My son is convinced that the recently departed are in charge of painting the sky each evening. We are inclined to believe him.

Goodbye Tana – my "Tanaby Jones". I hope you and Oscar are playing chase in a grassy paddock somewhere.

We miss you.

Terribly.

Sally

Edited by mrs tornsocks

:cry:

OMG - this is sooooo sad - thank you for posting!

I have 6 Chi's and a shepherd at home at the moment and my first Chi is now 12 years old and looks very, very, very old somedays. I dread the thought of loosing him. :-(