How Can I Put Weight On My Dog?

Sharna3

Hi all,

I have a 19 mth old English mastiff cross.

He's allergic to chicken, beef, lamb and pork. He was on eagle pack anchovy and sardine, we switched him about 6 weeks ago to vets all natural and kangaroo mince as we wanted to see what impact, if any, a RAW diet would have on his environmental allergies (yep, has those too).

His allergies seem to be calming which is excellent, but on the negative side, he seems to have lost weight, I figure either a final growing stage or it's the leanness of the kangaroo.

Can anyone suggest what I can feed in addition to his VAN and meat, or should I just increase his meal size?

Any thoughts suggestions would be lovely.

Thanks.

If he was ok on the Eagle Pack sardine you could try giving him sardines or other oily fish ? We feed raw tuna steaks as well as sardines. Ours also get eggs sometimes and a spoonful of natural yoghurt,I would be really careful though if he has multiple allergies and only add one new thing at a time just in case. I'm sure others will have suggestions,hope he picks up soon.

If he was ok on the Eagle Pack sardine you could try giving him sardines or other oily fish ? We feed raw tuna steaks as well as sardines. Ours also get eggs sometimes and a spoonful of natural yoghurt,I would be really careful though if he has multiple allergies and only add one new thing at a time just in case. I'm sure others will have suggestions,hope he picks up soon.

Hi Coogie,

Thanks :-) he does love sardines, but he eats so much... But tuna steaks sounds good - where do you get those? I took him to the vet today... They just suggested mixing dry food in with the mince because the only other thing they could think of was chicken... Which he can't have. Frustrating! But I will mix the EP into his food at least til he puts his weight back on. My poor boy has dropped 4kgs. I feel so terrible.

If he's allergic to chicken avoid eggs as well. You can try rabbit. Adding olive oil helps and you can try adding goats milk to his meals as well.

Hmm having tried rabbit. Olive oil / goats milk is something I could try for sure.

Defintely go your Omega oils. Great for conditioning and will help with his allergies as well. I've been using Omega 3, 6 & 9 from Natural Animal Solutions. Alot cheaper than Vets All Natural and got great results for my girl.

I was adding fish oil, I will look for the Omega oils, sounds like a multi benefit solution to me.

You need to up the fat content of his diet. Roo mince is very lean.

Oily fish would be a good way to do it. You could also try duck or turkey.

I'm hesitant to try another protein, plus they aren't particularly easy to get. But oily fish I will try because I know he tolerates fish.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. This forum is great, made great by its members!

can he eat minute/rolled oats? adds weight to my lot quickly soaked and some livamol added.

I could try rolled oats... I think the VAN has them in it... What's livamol and where would I buy it?

The other thing i need to keep in mind is that I'm moving to Port Hedland soon and it's very remote. So need products I can get over the net.