Finding A Co Owner For A Stud?

Maddy27

I co own an imported male and I will never do it again.

Way too many issues.

Good luck :D

:eek: Can I ask if the dog is co owned between 2 breeders?

He is

That would be interesting.

Sorry for going OT

I'm confident what I'm doing should be fine. I do what I'm best at, training and competing and she will do what she does best, breeding. I've already taken one of her girls and got her HT title for her.

Originally she offered me a puppy at no cost, because she was enjoying watching the success I'm having with a bitch I bought from her. This little male is so outstanding so far that she wanted to run him on as a potential stud, and I like him because, well, he is perfect (so far)

Bjelkier: Thats no good to hear!

Inevitablue: I think if I've learned anything from previous business deals with friends (flatmates, lending money to friends, etc) its that theres no such thing as mates in business! I cant say how well you know your breeder but maybe make sure EVERY little detail of the arrangement is nutted out first. Everyone here has said co ownership of studs is a risky business. Something to think about is that studs (atleast with Rotts) almost always have to be at home to mate properly. Something to think about, how are you going to feel when your breeder realises your stud wont mate at her house, and she starts bringing multiple bitches to your house for servicing. What about when the bitches dig your garden, cry all night, have a fight with your stud (that your friend then expects you to put in for the vet bills)? I think it could work really well, just make sure all the details are, as I said, nutted out.

Aussielover: Its a standard clause written into contracts over in the US and UK, I think for the price my puppies will be selling for the sort of people who intend to treat the dog badly are far more likely to be looking at $400 (NZD) Rott's on trademe from BYB. I will be meeting all puppy buyers and checking them thoroughly. If the dog develops HD/ED as a result of not being fed properly then thats partly my fault anyway as I chose them as a viable candidate to purchase the pup. When I meet my buyers I will discuss everything, in detail. No taking the puppy for long walks, no matter how full of energy they have. No bite work training on any pup under a year. How much to feed. What to feed (Orijen BTW). All of my pups will leave my property with Ellenco Pet insurance. I will talk to them about house training. Training them to be gentle with children, cats, other dogs. Then aswell as all this I will send them home with a puppy pack that includes a big bag of Orijen LBP and a Puppy Book.

I think I'll take everyone's warnings and just bring the bitch over. I will see how I cope with three dogs and when the initial bitch is getting close to a year I will concider whether I want to import a dog, if not I will import seemen when she's ready. Something that does puzzle me a bit. People over here use very young stud dogs. I've had big name breeders tell me that studs are ready to use "as soon as they're ready to go" however while I dont see it being physically damaging to a dog to mate young (like it would be to let a 14 month old bitch go to pup) I wonder how many health clearances can be met by such a young age.

I would love to import a boy (if my circumstances allow for it) when the pup is 12 months, meaning that when the girl is ready to breed (24-36 months) the boy would be old enough to mate. I know that hip[ scoring under 18-24 months in NZ is frowned on, and what's worse is that, over here, once you get a score you cant reapply to have more scores done on the dog at a more reliable age. I also know that when I got Kandies penn hip scores the vet said there was no way I should be getting elbow scores before she is atleast 24 months. I would NEVER breed the dog unless he had all his clearances! Even if the bitch had excellent scores and the boy seemed all good,