Best Dry Food/buscuit For Pregnant Bitch

bjazld

Im sure this has been discussed before but I am new to this site and I am wondering what people's opinion's are on best dry food to feed a pregnant bitch. I am also new to the world of breeding (even though i have been involved with pure bred dogs most of my life) I have used Royal canine for a few years on pups and adults and my dogs have always done well on it, I also try to feed about 80% raw to my adult dogs. I have been told to feed pregnant bitch's puppy food after 6 weeks....so looking for some suggestions of the most suitable thanks...

also i wont feed advance or hills or proplan...my dog/s have had bad experiences with each.

Hi bjazld. I used to feed my pregnant/lactating girls puppy food, but now i use a Power formula instead. I recently had a litter and used Artemis Osopure Power for my girl with great results (i feed Artmeis Fresh Mix normally). Other than a bit of coat loss, you wouldn't even be able to tell she's had pups a few months ago - she maintained a great weight throughout - i just upped the quantity. Couldn't be happier :thumbsup:

There's no need to change foods at all. If you are happy with the results of the RC, then continue to use it.

A quality food like RC will not need anything added to it and there's no need to change to a puppy food either. Be guided by the condition of the bitch and her hungar. Keep the exercise up and increase the food intake, as you feels she needs it.

She'll have her off days and days when she's ravenous.

If your raw contains plenty of meat on consumable bone, then your bitch will be fine.

ETA: If you are an ANKC registered breeder, you can provide your details to Troy and gain access to the breeders forum. You can ask questions in there and can respond to your own posts, but once you give the details, you can participate in other threads.

Edited by ReadySetGo

thanks guys, for replying.

yes i am ANKC registered breeder, very nervous about having my first liter!...will ask to join the breeders section...thanks!

i was a little unsure with the RC adult mix (maxi) as i read on one site its not suitable for pregnant/lactating bitches, but I now cant find the site i read it from. it has things like glucosamine/condroitin in thats why i thought it might be unsuitable, I have powder form Glucosamine here and it clearly says on the packaging not suitable for pregnant or lactating bitches.

yes the meat we feed is good quality mix of raw bone meal and meat....also has veges mixed in and fruits. we give the turkey or roo or a combination of turkey/chicken/fish/duck minced.

we dont give buscuits daily every 2-3 day to the adults.

Double check but I think you'll find that the amounts of glucosamine and chondroiton in the RC, is nowhere near a RDD. If you want to change, switch within the same brand, you are less likely to cause stomach upset or upset the bitch full stop.

ETA: I'm gathering you are feeding Maxi ?

You can use Medium and cut out the glucosamine

Edited by ReadySetGo