Do Broken Toes Need Surgery?

ruthless

I met someone on the weekend whose dog had a slight limp. She said she accidentally stood on it and thought the toe might be broken. She said there was no point going to the vet because they wouldn't be able to do anything. Is that true? Are dog toes like human toes, they just fix themselves? There's no treatment?

You can opt to let them mend themselves. Race dogs break toes all the time and are kept quiet, they are sometimes strapped, depending on which toe it is but unless they are sticking up in the air they are left.

The break itself is generally not an issue, it's ligament damage, that can be a problem

It would really depend on the patient and the type of fracture, and whether you're specifically referring to the phalanges or digit (and not a metacarpal or metatarsal bone - which do require treatment). Digit fractures don't necessarily need definitive treatment, but any fracture will benefit from stabilising by placing a splint. If they are associated with a skin wound they may well require antibiotic treatment.

I trod on my dogs toe and broke it last year....he was three or four weeks in a bandage strapped up. He was in a lot of pain from it.