Eagle Pack

Hi

We have just swapped our dogs onto eagle pack.

one dog is a fatty :o so he is easy he goes on reduced fat

The other is on the skinny side he is fine but my husband is worried. He is a Staffy and obsessed with the tennis ball

So husband wants to put him on the power one.

I think the orginal formula and then there is rice and lamb too

Any opinions?

I have 2 very active dogs, i give them EP holistic select for breakfast and they do great on it. I think the regular Eagle Pack is a bit too grainy from memory, or maybe it had corn (?), but for some reason I wasn't too keen on it. My girl was tending towards too skinny on science diet (i know, i was young and naive), but she looks just right these days.

I alternate between the duck one and the fishy one since they get lamb or chicken for dinner.

ETA: I just checked and corn is the third ingredient listed on the eagle pack lamb & rice formula. Personally I avoid corn because it can inhibit serotonin uptake and contribute to hyperactivity (mine don't need and help with that!), which is why I go with the holistic select range. It is an extra $25 for a 13.6 kg bag tho, going by pet deli prices.

The holistic stuff does have beet pulp in it however, which some people dislike :shrug:

Edited by Weasels

I have 2 very active dogs, i give them EP holistic select for breakfast and they do great on it. I think the regular Eagle Pack is a bit too grainy from memory, or maybe it had corn (?), but for some reason I wasn't too keen on it. My girl was tending towards too skinny on science diet (i know, i was young and naive), but she looks just right these days.

I alternate between the duck one and the fishy one since they get lamb or chicken for dinner.

ETA: I just checked and corn is the third ingredient listed on the eagle pack lamb & rice formula. Personally I avoid corn because it can inhibit serotonin uptake and contribute to hyperactivity (mine don't need and help with that!), which is why I go with the holistic select range. It is an extra $25 for a 13.6 kg bag tho, going by pet deli prices.

The holistic stuff does have beet pulp in it however, which some people dislike :shrug:

Hello

I have just bought the Holistic Select fish one because I was looking for something besides chicken, lamb etc that is not too high protein and I have now seen that it has beet pulp! None of these foods seem perfect do they - there always seems to be some compromise!

Hello

I have just bought the Holistic Select fish one because I was looking for something besides chicken, lamb etc that is not too high protein and I have now seen that it has beet pulp! None of these foods seem perfect do they - there always seems to be some compromise!

Yes, unfortunately. I get the Eagle Pack because it is a compromise between quality and availability - it is the best quality food that I can get within a close travelling distance and with a consistent supply. Personally I'm not so fussed about beet pulp, but I draw the line at corn. I know others feel differently :shrug:

I started out providing home-prepared meals for the dogs, but now that my time is more limited I think it's better spent playing/training/exercising them and just providing a diet that they do well on without obsessing about it :)

I wouldn't put your boy on power if he has trouble maintaining weight, and he has no need of the extra energy it would supply him. Our dogs are on power for the energy they require (sled dogs who race all winter) but by no means does this food help them keep weight on, just helps them burn energy quicker :laugh:

We supplement with a fair bit of raw meat, and feed more power than we would other foods to help maintain weight.

In the off season, my dogs normally go onto eagle pack natural (lamb and rice), and this works really well for them, and they maintain weight better on it. I don't like the original - has never done well with my dogs.

I used to be a rep for Eagle Pack. If your dog is already active the power formula can actually work to your detriment, it gives the dog more energy and up n go. They end up losing weight then putting it on ;)

About corn free food, I tried a couple and found they did nothing good for my dogs at all. Saying this it's horses for courses. Try a bag and if it doesnt work or has adverse affects return it to your retailer for a refund (EP is one of many brands that will do this) and try something else. I went off EP as it just wasnt working for me, I prefer Royal Canin as it does all my dogs well across the board. 10 dogs in 10 years looking fab on RC over everything else says it for me.

Thanks.

I just worked that out about the power. He is more active since we put him on EP and has lost weight... So we will switch him to natural. Hopefully it wont give him even more energy.

We tried a few other premiums over the years but they all made him sick??? So thats why we landed on eagle pack.

Thanks for suggestions

I used to be a rep for Eagle Pack. If your dog is already active the power formula can actually work to your detriment, it gives the dog more energy and up n go. They end up losing weight then putting it on ;)

About corn free food, I tried a couple and found they did nothing good for my dogs at all. Saying this it's horses for courses. Try a bag and if it doesnt work or has adverse affects return it to your retailer for a refund (EP is one of many brands that will do this) and try something else. I went off EP as it just wasnt working for me, I prefer Royal Canin as it does all my dogs well across the board. 10 dogs in 10 years looking fab on RC over everything else says it for me.

Hi Nekhbet

What do you do now?

Are you a rep for Royal Canin now

no I'm not a rep at all now, I just prefer RC to all the other foods I've spent oodles of money on. I used to love EP but it became annoying to get a hold of, I must admit their giant breed puppy is a great food. Didn't find the adult foods as effective but I know quite a few dogs that benefit from their holistic/novel source protein range.

Also haveing a couple of very sensitive dogs I've had to learn dog food inside out :p