Dogs Hearing

rubiton

Is there anyway to test a dogs hearing - like any tests you can do yourself.

Dog went past me after being left being on a walk (not far from home) and didnt realise - when she got 10-15m away and was still going I called her and instead of turning around she picked up the pace as if I was calling from ahead of her where she thought Id gone. When she got within sight of the house (round a slight corner just off the walkway) she realised I wasnt there and despite still calling didnt seem to realise where I was calling from til she saw me waving my arms at her.

It was like she could hear but couldnt pick which direction it was coming from (she also sleeps a lot sounder now and doesnt react to the slightest noise like she did when she was younger). So starting to wonder if her hearing is not as good as it was or perhaps moreso in one ear than the other.

• 6 months later...

My Pug is deaf, it happened gradually - I would start to notice changes like you have - and then there was just no reaction to any sound no matter how loud. I asked the vet and they just clapped and made loud noises and verified that she is deaf. I'm not sure that there are any tests you can take.