How Often To Feed A Small Dog

Guest lavendergirl

Guest lavendergirl

I feed my little 5kg guy twice a day with a snack sometimes as well. I notice that a lot of the kennels only feed once a day. Is that often enough for a small dog?

Our tiny dog prefers to eat a couple of times a day and has adlib bikkies overnight in his crate and that seems to work well for him. If he was in kennels where his portion was given once a day he would be fine as he would eat it over several sittings during the day. Certainly could not have done this with any of our other dogs as they would have vaccuumed up the bikkies as soon as they were put out and our grey is the same - mind you we split her food portion in half and feed her twice a day too as we think it safer in a deep chest breed.

Up to 6 months old get 3 meals a day, then twice a day. I have a very active multi-dog group of 2kg--4kg. Low blood sugars can be an issue in very small dogs. My big girls also get fed twice a day because their breeds are susceptible to bloat.

Guest lavendergirl

Up to 6 months old get 3 meals a day, then twice a day. I have a very active multi-dog group of 2kg--4kg. Low blood sugars can be an issue in very small dogs. My big girls also get fed twice a day because their breeds are susceptible to bloat.

Yes the blood sugar is one of the issues I would be concerned about - that and the fact that he always seems to be starving even with being fed twice a day :laugh:

Yes the blood sugar is one of the issues I would be concerned about - that and the fact that he always seems to be starving even with being fed twice a day :laugh:

Be careful. Just because your dog is small, doesn't stop it from wanting to eat itself into blimpland.

Lowchen will eat all the time. They range in weight from 5-8kg, so not a huge dog but they can eat like nobodies business. If I fed them when they acted like they were staving they'd be 15kg.

2 smaller meals a day is OK if it suits your lifestyle. Keep an eye on the weight, small bodies don't need extra padding.

My little dog is a hoover - she's 4kg, but is one of those dogs that would eat herself to death, given half a chance. I give her breakfast and dinner, partly because I feel horrible eating my own food while she sits up so perfectly straight and cycles through her routine of tricks trying to get a morsel or crumb that I drop :thumbsup:

As long as you make sure you don't feed her twice (or three times) as much food as she needs, just because you're feeding her twice (or 3 times), you're fine. It does take some getting used to though, giving such tiny amounts each time!

Guest lavendergirl

Thanks for the replies. It is hard to balance his food intake as he has separation anxiety and food is the only thing that motivates/distracts him.