Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - Best Diet.

samanthamy

Hey guys,

I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (tri-colour).

Ones a 2 year old male, the other 3 year old female.

I was at the mind body spirit festival on the weekend and I was informed that a lot of the problems cavvies experience (eye problems/infections, ear infections) can be prevented by the correct diet.

So what do you feed your cavaliers to that has helped to prevent eye/ear infections and has given them the best/silkiest coat?

Any other tips/hints on caring for Cavvies is appreciated also :)

i find my female cavie is allergic to alot of stuff so we're very careful with what we feed her and bath her with. Mine also tend to put on weight fairly easily so i stay away from all the fatty crap that is sold out there, and stick to as high a standard as i can afford (currently pro plan but am switching to black hawk) i find that for coat the best stuff is the high premium stuff, that has the correct oils in it, but my cavies are late maturers so there coat doesn't really start perfecting until after 3~! Omega 3 etc, i also feed with sasha's blend, to help with joints and movement, and i know it sounds crazy but i believe since they have been on it there coat has improved (although im sure everyone will tell me im crazy!)

As for eye/ear infections, mine have never had either, but i do bath them EVERY week without fail, and cleaning thier ears is very important as well as wiping excess tear production each day.

Other than that, they just get fed as normal. I just try and feed them the best quality i can afford, and stay away from the high fat stuff, or stuff with a high wheat/soy filler content as i believe it irritates thier system too much.

Guest lavendergirl

I was looking at feeding Pro Plan and then noticed that it has a Vitamin K derivative in all their lines so its back to the drawing board. Am looking at Canidae at the moment.