Peeing On Bed

Our dog just turned 1. As a pup we used pee mats when we weren't home until he could hold it all day. This worked well. In general he'd only use them if he had to and preferred to go outside.

The problem now is that when he doesn't want to go outside (eg raining or he is just too lazy) he pees on his bedding. It isn't unintentional. He digs at it as though he is going to sleep and then pees. Often he will drag the towels off his bed and pee on them elsewhere as to not soil his bed.

This has led me to believe he sees the towels as pee mats which is understandable. So we removed all towels and blankets from their bedding. But last night it was wet and he pee'd on his plastic sling bed. I dont think it resembles a pee mat.

We don't get mad at him. We realise it is most likely cause by us training him to use mats.

How do we fix this? In going to start taking him on a lead in the yard when it rains and treating so he gets over that but not sure what else to do.

In going to start taking him on a lead in the yard when it rains and treating so he gets over that but not sure what else to do.

That's what I would do. Also I would try and put it on command, so I'll say "do your business (name of dog)" and then praise when he starts peeing.