First Trip To The Animal Hospital!

It was probably me over reacting but I am glad we took him.

We picked my JRt Maui up yesterday afternoon from the in-laws (he was there overnight) and he looked like he had gone three rounds with Mike Tyson!!! His whole face was swollen and lumpy, it didnt seem to be bothering him though. He had just been playing at my sis-in-kaws with her Labrador (not rough though aprantly)...

The poor thing just looked terrible, we drove past our usual vet and they were closed so we went up to the animal clinic (Werribee Uni), I had guessed it was probably a bee sting or allergic reaction to something, but I didnt want to take any chances on it getting worse and affecting his breathing..

So off we went, 1 hour and $180 later he had a steroid and anti-histamene shot. His face had started going down in the clinic anyway.. Better safe then sorry though..

Hes back to his normal self now, we just have to watch he has plenty of water and food (aparantly steroid shots make them super thirsty and hungry)..

Phew, what a day though!

I would've done exactly the same thing - I had my first visit to the emergency vet a few months ago after my little dog ate a mouse that had (most likely) been killed by rat poison. It was a horrible place- I saw a little dog that had been attacked and an old kelpie that was panting heavily and basically paralysed, and could hear yelps of distress and a dog screaming in pain from out the back..

I hope I never ever have to go there again. The massive bill once you set foot in the door is bad enough, but it's just such a horrible experience. :( Glad your little guy is ok, I completely agree that you're better safe than sorry, and you never can tell with bee stings and allergies!