Teaching Puppy To Stay Outside

SupaDupa Mini Cooper

I agree with Husky, regardless of breed a dog needs to learn to entertain themselves and be on their own, afterall most breeds are family oriented and want to be with their pack 24/7 but as Husky says most times this is not practical...

You sound like your doing well so far, I hope your training continues to do well :) some photos wouldn't go astray :)

I agree with Husky, regardless of breed a dog needs to learn to entertain themselves and be on their own, afterall most breeds are family oriented and want to be with their pack 24/7 but as Husky says most times this is not practical...

You sound like your doing well so far, I hope your training continues to do well :) some photos wouldn't go astray :)

Oh a Cavalier will learn, and cope well enough and do it 'because', it just won't thank you for it. :D

Hence why they need to learn from a young age so they don't find it a negative thing to be away from you when you are home :)

Oh, I fully agree, but it is not the coping when you are away, that causes them angst, they do that fine. It is the being outside when the family is home that they object to. So if the objective is simply to teach your dog/puppy to spend time outside while you are away from the 'den", then "easy peasy". :)

I agree Liz, please know I am not having a go :)

I believe that a well adjusted dog should also be content to be outside even while you are home, not all the time, but comfortable enough that they don't bother :) otherwise how do you know they "cope" when you are away?

Hence why they need to learn from a young age so they don't find it a negative thing to be away from you when you are home :)

Oh, I fully agree, but it is not the coping when you are away, that causes them angst, they do that fine. It is the being outside when the family is home that they object to. So if the objective is simply to teach your dog/puppy to spend time outside while you are away from the 'den", then "easy peasy". :)

Haha! Lucy doesn't leave my side when I am home She follows me from one side of the kitchen to the other when I'm cooking. So cute! :)

DO be careful any dog in the kitchen is just as dangerous as a toddler.

Ours are kept behind pet gates and well out from underfoot. You don't want them anywhere near you when you a lifting a pot of boiling pasta to be poured into a sieve at the sink for example. :eek:

I agree Liz, please know I am not having a go :)

I believe that a well adjusted dog should also be content to be outside even while you are home, not all the time, but comfortable enough that they don't bother :) otherwise how do you know they "cope" when you are away?

Must add, I am all for dogs being inside with the family :) I believe dogs need to be included as part of the family :)

I know you're not having a go Pockets. :) And we are on the same page. At the previous home I lived in my Border Collie X and German Shepherd were mostly outside dogs but came in "at times", not often. However with a ranch style house with windows to the floor I could be in any room and the Border X would be outside the window! I'd be making kids beds and she lay outside each room, just following me around the house. I think she was pleased when I finally settled in one room. :laugh:

All I'm saying with the Cavs is they will learn to stay outside as required, they are smart dogs to teach, but their little smile won't be back on their cute faces until they are back close to you. :D

Even my mums rescue Cav who spent a good number of years chained up in a chicken run with 20 other dogs now knocks at the back door and wants to be let in. He is content to sit on his bed on the back verandah, most times and waits for mum to come out and sit there or potter around in the garden, but does now prefer to be on the couch with my elderly mum, shes 77 and he's nine March 1st.

I think it is useful to teach dogs to be peaceful in the house, without being in a crate. My dogs follow me from room to room inside the house but they know that they are only allowed to play inside if I initiate the game. I do, however, spend a LOT of time outside in the garden and paddocks with my dogs and they are usually outside when I'm not home (and part of the time when I am home). I teach them to be peaceful inside once they are leash trained, by tying the leash to my chair, with just enough leash-length so that they can stand up but not move around. Once they are prepared to relax and go to sleep there, I start unclipping the leash, but leashing them again if they wander away. With a small breed dog, I think I might opt to use a cat-box that I could carry with me from room to room, and open the door once they relaxed and snoozed.

For their own safety, youngsters are not allowed loose in the house unless they are supervised.

I think it is useful to teach dogs to be peaceful in the house, without being in a crate. My dogs follow me from room to room inside the house but they know that they are only allowed to play inside if I initiate the game. I do, however, spend a LOT of time outside in the garden and paddocks with my dogs and they are usually outside when I'm not home (and part of the time when I am home). I teach them to be peaceful inside once they are leash trained, by tying the leash to my chair, with just enough leash-length so that they can stand up but not move around. Once they are prepared to relax and go to sleep there, I start unclipping the leash, but leashing them again if they wander away. With a small breed dog, I think I might opt to use a cat-box that I could carry with me from room to room, and open the door once they relaxed and snoozed.

For their own safety, youngsters are not allowed loose in the house unless they are supervised.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are a pretty laid back breed, you will find they instictively know "how to chill" but will fire up if called to "play". :)

I do know a dog trainer that kept her German Shepherd Puppy in a trolley and moved it from room to room when it was little. :laugh: Our boy was always very well behaved in the house as a puppy, we didn't even need pet barriers, he was told that he was to stay in the family room and would not step up the step there. He'd sit there with his face on the step and watch what was going on. The pet barrier only was introduced when the third Cavalier arrived. I'd crate them when I was preparing meals.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are a pretty laid back breed, you will find they instictively know "how to chill" but will fire up if called to "play". :)

I do know a dog trainer that kept her German Shepherd Puppy in a trolley and moved it from room to room when it was little. :laugh: Our boy was always very well behaved in the house as a puppy, we didn't even need pet barriers, he was told that he was to stay in the family room and would not step up the step there. He'd sit there with his face on the step and watch what was going on. The pet barrier only was introduced when the third Cavalier arrived. I'd crate them when I was preparing meals.

I quite agree, it depends on the dog. I never needed to teach my BC pup (now 7 months) to be peaceful inside. But then, he is very biddable... by the time he was 4 months old I could leave him on a down stay with the other dogs while I fed the ducks!

However, I believe imposing peace by leashing puppies inside is preferable to putting them outside. I have met too many people whose dogs are never allowed inside, because they have never been taught an "off button".

SDMC I left Lucy outside for the first time today for 3.5 hours I snuck in after 2 & checked on her & she was sleeping away so I ducked out again She must have heard me come in the second time as she was barking at the door :)

As of next week she will be outside 6 hours a day for 3 days so I thought I'd start building her up I think I was worried more than her :)

Did she cry when you put her outside? What did you give her to keep her entertained or was she content to just sleep?

Maybe I'm just too soft :o I can't stand hearing him cry :( At least I know if he's in the crate he won't cry... or be cold... or be too hot... or get sunburnt... or get wet... :laugh:

SDMC I left Lucy outside for the first time today for 3.5 hours I snuck in after 2 & checked on her & she was sleeping away so I ducked out again She must have heard me come in the second time as she was barking at the door :)

As of next week she will be outside 6 hours a day for 3 days so I thought I'd start building her up I think I was worried more than her :)

Did she cry when you put her outside? What did you give her to keep her entertained or was she content to just sleep?

Maybe I'm just too soft :o I can't stand hearing him cry :( At least I know if he's in the crate he won't cry... or be cold... or be too hot... or get sunburnt... or get wet... :laugh:

I know! It's hard not to worry about them :laugh:

She didn't cry when I put her out.. I put her breakfast in a treat ball to keep her busy & also left her a frozen kong.

I did it again for 3 hours today & she was asleep when I got home The real test will be on Monday! Will I be able to resist nipping home from work for half an hour?? :laugh: