Wkc Vs Ankc Kelpies

redial

Kavik, where are you looking to get your nest Kelpie from?

Currently liking these guys

http://www.barruworkingkelpies.com/Barru_Working_Kelpies/Barru_Working_Kelpies.html

The breeder was easy to talk to and keen to talk about his dogs and helpful when I said I was after a dog for agility. Haven't seen any of his dogs in person yet though - hoping to get a chance to see them next year some time.

Those dogs sound nice Kavik - I would be very interested to hear what you think of them in person (so to speak).

eta - another WKC registered dog that really struggles with life in the suburbs :laugh:

post-8207-0-42095100-1323406129_thumb.jpg

If a working dog didn't have an off switch, it would not last long on the farm! So I actually find working bred dogs fit well into suburban homes, provided they get the same mental stimuation that ANY dog should get in suburbia.

Edited by superminty

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks kelpiechick!

I have a few people trying to persuade me to change teams ;) and I can see why they suggest it and they are probably right. At the moment though I think I will stay :D

LOL - I don't consider I have changed teams, just added another dimension ! I grew up with kelpies, I will always own kelpies and will most likely add another BC at some stage too as I am finding that they complement each other very well and I am really enjoying working with both breeds.

I had no intention of listening to those trying to persuade me either, but somehow along the way the working line kelpie from WA that I wanted became a working line BC from WA instead ! (As John Lennon once said, 'life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.')

What attracted you to Barru, if you don't mind me asking. Don't know too much about them except that Scott is a nice guy by all accounts. His breeding is very heavily based on Karrawarra lines.... and definitely look like the old style working kelpies. If it's those lines you like for a particular reason and it doesn't work out you might also want to take a look at Karmala Stud in Queensland - based on very similar lines but a couple of other lines in there too that I really like. Don't know anyone who has ever owned one of their kelpies though unfortunately which makes it hard to find out much about them.

I like that it is based on Karrawarra lines and that he says he is breeding for compliance (the area that it is perceived that BCs have it over the Kelpies, and the reason some have suggested I get a BC next). He was also very helpful on the phone and seemed like a nice guy. Some WKC breeders are not too keen to sell to agility homes, Scott was helpful and listened to what I was looking for. I will have a look at Karmala as well, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

The differences between ANKC Kelpies & WKC Kelpies are very easy to pick. If you search in Google images alone the difference is quickly apparent. WKC's have been bred based on their working ability with looks second. ANKC have been bred to conform to a standard that a confirmation judge has an understanding of with a working ability second. That is not to say that a ANKC kelpie cannot work but a WKC Kelpie has a far greater pre-dispositon to work. In ANKC herding in Victoria we have 6 'Kelpie' type (general classification as two of mine are pound dogs) that have acheived the highest level on sheep and at least three of them are also successful on ducks but sadly none of them are of 'show' type. I do not want it to come across as ANKC Kelpie bashing here it's just that you don't see many of them competing in structured trials (VYUFDA,ANKC or VWSDA) and until their owners are prepared to come and try we will never know the quality of the dogs. I know that dogzonline.com.au is all about pure bred dogs but their are plenty of 'station bred' Kelpies that will have unknown lines that can be just as good as a WKC one. Sometimes the best dogs show up in the strangest of places, two of mine come from a suburban fringe pound!!!! However when the time came to buy a third i chose a WKC registered dog from parents i have seen work and worked myself because I felt i was ready to take on a dog that could take us as a team to 'the next level' whatever that is and my idea has paid off. For trial type work she is the better dog but for general work (moving paddock to paddock or catching strays etc.) my other two are miles better.

At the end of the day you are better off buying a dog that you like and 'make' it into a good dog in your eyes as then you will be happy with whichever pedigree or no pedigree you chose...... :thumbsup:

Sorry if i have re-stirred a Hornets Nest. LOL.

I think its a fair call dennyhound.

Lets face it, like you said, they were bred as a working dog, so therefore the work ability was a priority in breeding the dogs. Looks never came into it.

In NSW 3 sheep trials, there is a guy that is consistantly in finals with "station bred" dogs. Some are a mix of Kelpie and Border Collie and others are station kelpies.

There is plenty of great unregistered working bred kelpies out there that help run the stock of the country and would never even get a look in to meet a standard for the breed.

The thing that people forget is that they see a good kelpie doing well and say I want to get a kelpie cause look how good they are. They don't realise that there is so many variables in the working breed as they are bred to be a multipurpose dog. They may have great drive to work and be with someone, but sport people want a dog that is driven to "play" (tug, fetch etc) and forget just because they have good work drive and good instincts, they are often good at their job because its in their blood, and no amount of play or games will make them into what the person thinks it should have been.

You just have to find the right dog no matter what the breed.

I have working line Kelpies and Borders and out of 7 dogs, 2 (Borders) will tug and fetch and play rough and have drive able to be channeled into a COMPETITIVE sports dog and still be an awesome sheepdog, 1 (Border) has enough goof in her to be able to develop her play into tug and channel it but again is an awesome sheepdog, 2 (Borders) have awesome WORK drive, are loyal but have MINIMAL play/interactive drive but will work all day for a pat and be told they are good. Then I have 2 Kelpies, 1 is good at something if she feels like it or FOOD in involved, but if you wanted play to be her rewards, give up now and the other (station bred) used to be a good agility dog and loved it because it was thrilling, used to be able to work, not stylish but effective (bit noisy). She is old now and was doing what I do now, when she was young she would probably be very handy. Will tug, Loves food and is really good but tough. She has had a very tough hand to bring her up because of her possessive/protective nature.

So when looking for a Kelpie, you need to look for individual characteristics that make the good dog, not the stud, or the line etc, it is so varied.