Digging Problems

Hi Guys

This is my first post, I have two red and tan Kelpies that have just turned one. They went through a stage of digging at about 5 months of age, i had to replace the lawn a few months ago because of bad existing grass and dirt patches caused by them playing and digging, they stopped digging for a while but i have found a hole through my new grass :(

They both have got multiple toys/chew toys/food dispencing toys similar to kongs that they have worked out how to empty within about 20mins and they both have plenty of attention given to them. I am at a bit of a loss, i give them mental stimulation as well.

does anyone know of a hard wearing IQ toys that can be left alone with the dogs during the day while i am at work? My wife is at home with a baby due at the end of Jan.

any advice would be great

cheers

Aidan

There are lots of different things you could try but some dogs just like digging unfortunately. I have one Kelpie/BC and one Kelpie in my backyard. They get the same amount of mental stimulation/exercise/food/toys. They both do recreational agility, tricks, obedience etc and have a walk every few days.

The Kelpie cross has never been a digger but the red and tan likes to dig one big hole every now and then. When he gets a scent or something and he digs! I am resigned to my fate :laugh:

I've found that if I loosely fill that hole in, he digs it up again i.e. doesn't start a new spot. For the holes in areas where I don't want him to dig, I used to put dog poop in those and then he'd leave them alone. For us clam shells and that like didn't work so I just tried to discourage him from digging in certain areas but let him dig in other areas.

I think it's a case of managing expectations, too - it may be hard to ever have a good lawn if you have a dog that likes digging though .. :o Also, even without the digging, my two play chasies every now and then and so there are bald spots on the ground where there are 'turning circles'.

ETA: aside from the clam shell with sand idea, other people suggest pineapple as well. If anyone who suggests a longer walk - don't bother with that, it doesn't work with a Kelpie :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

ETA: aside from the clam shell with sand idea, other people suggest pineapple as well. If anyone who suggests a longer walk - don't bother with that, it doesn't work with a Kelpie :laugh:

We also tried the clam shell and it worked to a certain extent, until they decided to dig under it haha. what do you mean tabout pineapple?

My 7 year old muttley still digs. He loves it! Thankfully my younger girl isn't interested, she just chews everything instead. I do understand you, but unfortunately despite my girl getting a number of rotated toys during the day, she can still be destructive. She's just turned 2 and is finally getting better so hang in there.

As far as treat toys go, in my experience the best ones have been:

Busy Buddy Range.

- Squirrel Dude. Is really hard to get the treats out, so only works if your dog is very persistent. My girl throws it constantly against the concrete, it entertains her for ages (we call it the "pok pok" because when we leave for work that's all we can hear :rofl:)

- Twist and Treat. This has adjustable levels of difficulty but for kelpies you will probably need to make it as hard as possible like I do. I put different sized kibble/biscuits/food in here and close it as tightly as possible.

- Bouncy Bone. Both my dogs LOVE this, it's one where you can put rawhide on both ends. I'd recommend the big one, we have medium and they destroyed it pretty quickly.

Buster Cube. My girl LOVES this but I find it's not that difficult for her. She still pushes it around for 5 minutes though and whinges when it's being prepared so that's not too bad.

Plastic bottles. The bigger the better (eg. juice bottles). Put some kibble in the bottom and screw the lid on tight. Make sure your dog doesn't eat the lid (mine don't). Sometimes I give them empty milk bottles, not rinsed, and they spend ages trying to get the milk remnants out.

Cardboard boxes. Great for tearing to shreds.

And finally, kibble scattered in the yard if they don't argue over it. Even when it's long gone they'll still sniff for it.

Edit: Oh, and mine get Kongs with tinned dog food inside, frozen overnight. They last a good 15 minutes :rofl:

Edited by wuffles

My 7 year old muttley still digs. He loves it! Thankfully my younger girl isn't interested, she just chews everything instead. I do understand you, but unfortunately despite my girl getting a number of rotated toys during the day, she can still be destructive. She's just turned 2 and is finally getting better so hang in there.

As far as treat toys go, in my experience the best ones have been:

Busy Buddy Range.

- Squirrel Dude. Is really hard to get the treats out, so only works if your dog is very persistent. My girl throws it constantly against the concrete, it entertains her for ages (we call it the "pok pok" because when we leave for work that's all we can hear :rofl:)

- Twist and Treat. This has adjustable levels of difficulty but for kelpies you will probably need to make it as hard as possible like I do. I put different sized kibble/biscuits/food in here and close it as tightly as possible.

- Bouncy Bone. Both my dogs LOVE this, it's one where you can put rawhide on both ends. I'd recommend the big one, we have medium and they destroyed it pretty quickly.

Buster Cube. My girl LOVES this but I find it's not that difficult for her. She still pushes it around for 5 minutes though and whinges when it's being prepared so that's not too bad.

Plastic bottles. The bigger the better (eg. juice bottles). Put some kibble in the bottom and screw the lid on tight. Make sure your dog doesn't eat the lid (mine don't). Sometimes I give them empty milk bottles, not rinsed, and they spend ages trying to get the milk remnants out.

Cardboard boxes. Great for tearing to shreds.

And finally, kibble scattered in the yard if they don't argue over it. Even when it's long gone they'll still sniff for it.

Edit: Oh, and mine get Kongs with tinned dog food inside, frozen overnight. They last a good 15 minutes :rofl:

Thanks for the info, i will have a look at the treat toys and hopefully they will work :)

Digging is extremely rewarding :) There are endorphins from activity...the scents released from soil, sounds and smells of insects , grubs etc , coolness / tactile sensation on pads/paws . IMO It's pretty difficult , if they love it, to substitute.

I suggest a couple of clam shells filled with clean sand - bury toys and treats , so their reward is contained to that spot , maybe ? :)

LOTS of training sessions .. both at home and in other places . This gets the brain exercised, which helps relax the body.

Kelpies are a working breed..and have a real need to be 'DOING' .

best of luck with them.