Puppy Proofing Outdoors Areas

heroeswit

I'm looking to puppy proof part of our veranda so the puppy I should be getting in a month or so doesn't escape from the outside play pen. So the issue I have is the veranda has gaps under and to the side of the stairs where the puppy will have access to the grassed area.

I thought about putting shade clothe in the areas I'm worried about but I think any puppy would be able to chew straight though that. I'm not sure if carpet would work since it is outside.

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences with this sort of thing?

I will try to get some pictures of the area I'm talking about tomorrow

I'm looking to puppy proof part of our veranda so the puppy I should be getting in a month or so doesn't escape from the outside play pen. So the issue I have is the veranda has gaps under and to the side of the stairs where the puppy will have access to the grassed area.

I thought about putting shade clothe in the areas I'm worried about but I think any puppy would be able to chew straight though that. I'm not sure if carpet would work since it is outside.

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences with this sort of thing?

I will try to get some pictures of the area I'm talking about tomorrow

It might be best to wait for pictures.

I have to think about containing a litter of pups, next month, from leaving the new yard.

It's a worry

Px

So I took a couple of pics

This is what the steps look like from the ground

this shows what the side looks like

this is front on to the railing and shows the gap quite well

This is the railings on the veranda

ETA another pic that I missed

Edited by dwilds

It looks like it's all wood? Do you own or rent? If you own perhaps look at using a staple gun/ hook nails and putting wire mesh between/around the rails to enclose it (hope that makes sense) perhaps gate the top of the stairs or run a ramp with texture on it down, you can take this up as the puppie grows/ and store for when they get old and don't like steps ;) Just a couple of ideas but I'll keep thinking on it :) puppies grow fast so shouldn't be an issue for long depending on breed

Edited by Fuzzycuddles

It looks like it's all wood? Do you own or rent? If you own perhaps look at using a staple gun/ hook nails and putting wire mesh between/around the rails to enclose it (hope that makes sense) perhaps gate the top of the stairs or run a ramp with texture on it down, you can take this up as the puppie grows/ and store for when they get old and don't like steps ;) Just a couple of ideas but I'll keep thinking on it :) puppies grow fast so shouldn't be an issue for long depending on breed

Hi yes we own our house I like your idea I think it would work well.

I found the original idea I had been thinking about with a ramp Here But I am thinking I'll make the railing on the ramp a bit higher and then gate the other side of the stairs so she can't go down the stairs.

I will hopefully be getting a White Swiss Shepherd.

We use netting along pool fencing to stop our Shepherd puppies jamming their heads through when they are little. It is amazing what small spaces their heads will fit through but then can be difficult to get back out the other way.....

For the railings I would use puppy fence or bunnings compost cages link and attach it with zip ties. I did this around my pool fence when I had a litter and they could fit through the bars.

You will also be able to use the compost cage to block off the top of the stairs next to the ramp. These compost cages are very handy and also cheaper than they puppy cages from the pet stores. I have several packs that I use to create an outside pen for my litters.

I think I'm going to need to block off the vegie/fruit part of our garden - my dad kindly brought over some citrus food (mix of slow release balls and manure pallets) the other day and put it around our lemon tree... Cooper is at it at every opportunity! I've had to make him spit it out at least 10 times in the last 2 days and every time he gets let outside it is the first spot he wants to get to :mad . It will also come in handy if I need to put out snail pallets in the future too.

With the compost cage, does anyone know the dimensions? Is it 4 or 5 panels?

I will need to block a space between the house and the fence that is about 2.5m wide (but will still need to be able to go through it at times). I have a non-jumping Cavalier puppy (he is only just beginning to make the jump up onto the couch) so as long as it's at least 60cm high it should keep him out.

I think I'm going to need to block off the vegie/fruit part of our garden - my dad kindly brought over some citrus food (mix of slow release balls and manure pallets) the other day and put it around our lemon tree... Cooper is at it at every opportunity! I've had to make him spit it out at least 10 times in the last 2 days and every time he gets let outside it is the first spot he wants to get to :mad . It will also come in handy if I need to put out snail pallets in the future too.

With the compost cage, does anyone know the dimensions? Is it 4 or 5 panels?

I will need to block a space between the house and the fence that is about 2.5m wide (but will still need to be able to go through it at times). I have a non-jumping Cavalier puppy (he is only just beginning to make the jump up onto the couch) so as long as it's at least 60cm high it should keep him out.

You get 4 panels in a pack. The rectangular, so you can get more width than height it needed. At a guess I could say they are 80cm (this is a big guess). I used zip ties to join the panels and then to create a gate I joined two panels with old clips from leads (I have alot as one of my girls chews through leads). Worked well!!