Camping With Dogs

jaybeece

Did you find somewhere to camp? I have just learned that Paradise Valley is very dog friendly. It's also great for kayaking if you're that way inclined and has some lovely shallow rapids for splashing about in. Might be an idea to keep in mind for a weekend getaway at some stage.

I go to Golden Beach on the 90 mile beach shore a few times a year. A couple of times over christmas and January/Feb and again at Easter.

Paradise beach has an RV park, where you can stay for 72 hours which has toilets and showers and a little camp kitchen. It's dog friendly. Dogs are supposed to be on the lead, but as long as your dog is under control the ranger is OK.

Golden Beach, camp sites marked 1 to 6 are designated for dog camping. There are drop toilets at C1, C3 and I think C5 now. There are no showers or other facilites. In peak times, you can still find a space, but out of peak times, it's almost dead. I've been there a few times and had the entire campsite and beach completely to myself for days on end.

Insect repellent is a must. Both for you and for your dog. Apart from that, it's awesome. I spent Christmas down there with my two and we all had a ball. There were only three sets of campers in our site. which meant that we all had our own space and privacy. You had to walk 50 metres or more to the next campsite.

Take your own water if you camp at Golden beach, as there are no taps in town to fill up from. I had to grab some from the service station in Sale when I went in for a day trip for something else, as I couldn't find a tap anywhere. I think the locals are wise to people knicking there water.... :)

For me, Golden beach is brilliant. Very few people, endless beach to walk and explore. Interesting stuff to see. There are some wrecks a few klms walk down the beach. From the late 1800's I believe. The Trinculo is one I remember. An iron hulled ship which ran aground there in about 1882. Amazing that it's still there and still clearly visible.

+ 1

and definitely take the insect repellant as the mossie were dynamite last January only negative to a great holiday especially when like me you are allergic to their bites.

We were down at Woodside Beach last weekend, and the camping ground there definitely allows dogs, as does the beach. It's at the start of the Ninety Mile Beach, between Sale and Yarram. Pretty part of the world, but definitely pack the insect repellent- we were eaten alive by sandflies! We stayed nearby in Port Albert though, which is all mangroves and estuary system and the buggers were everywhere- even poor Annie is covered in bites all over her belly and her ears.

That whole area is renowned for it's insect life, it's like that every summer and it does spoil an otherwise lovely part of the state. It's particularly bad around Golden Beach and Loch Sport. The regular residents take some kind of vitamin B tablet to make themselves unattractive to mossies.

I prefer that area in winter, the beaches are deserted and on a still day, it's gorgeous for the dogs.

If you are heading down Gippsland way keep in mind that many places that way have ticks.

From memory (i looked into it last holiday i took the dogs) it's the only place in Vic that has them. We decided to go the other way (past Geelong) because i was stressing too much about having to check my dogs for blood sucking insects.

There aren't a lot of tick warning issued and they don't seem to be as big o f a problem as further north.

It seems to be more around Orbost, Cann River, Marlo etc rather than the lakes region.

Edited by Gayle.

Every year in March we go camping in Princetown, which is near Port Campbell.

Dogs are welcome and allowed off leash, Maui loves it, there is a river and a beach right behind it which is great to go walking to.

You basically camp around the oval, they have showers and toilet facilities, powered sites if need be. But you can camp behind bushes so your out of the way, there are lots of secluded places.

AAt night this is what I do with my boy, I put glow sticks around his neck so we can see him :)

200435_10150116484950878_589495877_6655645_2344322_n.jpg