Dental Health Cleaning Tools

Erny

As per the above heading, I'm looking to get some proper tools to help me keep the calculos (sp?) from accumulating on my dog's teeth and to get rid of what is already there. As many of you know, my boy has digestive issues and thus, chewing bones isn't a consistent preventative. And I really would like to keep the number of professional dental cleans via anaesthetic to an absolute minimum, where I can.

So, what tools would be the best and where is the best place to get them from?

I've done a little bit of reading via google, and these three tools seem to be what is recommended :

1. Claw Dental Scraper
  2. Hoe Type Dental Scaler
  3. Gracy type Dental Scaler

Thoughts, advice, suggestions and recommendations all welcome and appreciated.

As per the above heading, I'm looking to get some proper tools to help me keep the calculos (sp?) from accumulating on my dog's teeth and to get rid of what is already there. As many of you know, my boy has digestive issues and thus, chewing bones isn't a consistent preventative. And I really would like to keep the number of professional dental cleans via anaesthetic to an absolute minimum, where I can.

So, what tools would be the best and where is the best place to get them from?

I've done a little bit of reading via google, and these three tools seem to be what is recommended :

1. Claw Dental Scraper
  2. Hoe Type Dental Scaler
  3. Gracy type Dental Scaler

Thoughts, advice, suggestions and recommendations all welcome and appreciated.

Perhaps ring up and talk to Christine Hawk or shoot her an email. She is a lovely vet who would probably be able to give a better recommendation that anyone on here. And I have found her easy to talk to and willing to share information!

http://www.sydneypetdentistry.com.au/

I doubt very much that the calculus (I think that's the word) which is what the discolouration is, would be removable by any form of tooth brush - electric or otherwise. I will however look at using an electric tooth brush for the cleaning to help prevent the bacteria build up becoming calculus. Using the hand/finger method - sure it helps, but not enough to keep in front of.

I have two different types of scalers don't know what they are called

One has the wire hook on the end I don't use this I find the end is very sharp

Very hard not to prick the dogs gum

I also have one with flat end and a little metal hook at the other end

This is the one I use all the time and it's fantastic

I have bought some of the oral gel that people swear by, but havent gotten around to using it yet so cant comment if it is as good as people say. You can get it in Australia but its twice the price, so best look online for it (ebay has the best options for price and delivery). Its called Petzlife oral gel or spray. You can read the reviews of the product at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Petzlife-Oral-Care-Spray-Peppermint/dp/B000NNJ5CI

Poodlecrazy - I'm attaching a picture for each of the tools I referred to, just for ID sake.

I've read that :

There is one which is shaped like a little hoe on each end of a metal shaft (Hoe Scaler). This is great for breaking large pieces of calculus off. There is also one shaped like a claw on the end (Claw Scraper). It also is fairly good at getting the big pieces of calculus off, plus it can get up along the gum-line a little better. The third type is like a little curvy wire thing on the end (Gracey Scraper). It is very stiff and good at getting the small stuff along the gum-line. This is a link to the site I was reading : Dr Dan Dental Disease in Dogs

post-5887-0-05009200-1326675644_thumb.jpg

post-5887-0-63199700-1326675694_thumb.jpg

post-5887-0-57378300-1326675720_thumb.jpg

I will speak to my Vet about the tools but in the meantime, of the ones pictured can you tell me what your combo one comprises of?

Kiwi Kitten - I'm using PlaqueOff which is included in my boy's food. We're only in the early stages and I think I'm just beginning to notice some improvement, but I think the calculus build up already there will need a bit of help to come away. Is the Petzlife Oral Gel/Spray designed to be used as a toothpaste in conjunction with what I already use in food, or is it a teatment on its own? Not to worry - I'll look it up and read on it via the link you gave me :thanks:

Edited by Erny

Poodlecrazy - I'm attaching a picture for each of the tools I referred to, just for ID sake.

I've read that :

There is one which is shaped like a little hoe on each end of a metal shaft (Hoe Scaler). This is great for breaking large pieces of calculus off. There is also one shaped like a claw on the end (Claw Scraper). It also is fairly good at getting the big pieces of calculus off, plus it can get up along the gum-line a little better. The third type is like a little curvy wire thing on the end (Gracey Scraper). It is very stiff and good at getting the small stuff along the gum-line. This is a link to the site I was reading : Dr Dan Dental Disease in Dogs

post-5887-0-05009200-1326675644_thumb.jpg

post-5887-0-63199700-1326675694_thumb.jpg

post-5887-0-57378300-1326675720_thumb.jpg

I will speak to my Vet about the tools but in the meantime, of the ones pictured can you tell me what your combo one comprises of?

Kiwi Kitten - I'm using PlaqueOff which is included in my boy's food. We're only in the early stages and I think I'm just beginning to notice

some improvement, but I think the calculus build up already there will need a bit of help to come away. Is the Petzlife Oral Gel/Spray designed to be used as a toothpaste in conjunction with what I already use in food, or is it a teatment on its own? Not to worry - I'll look it up and read on it via the link you gave me :thanks:

Number two

The 1st and 3rd ones are not dental scalers. The Hoe one is actually a type of dental excavator used to remove soft dentine manually. The 1st is a dental trimmer used to trim dental restorations. Only the gracey is a type of scaler.

I am a qualified dental assistant with over 25 yrs experience.

I use something like #3 to pull off the build up on my dogs teeth. But a teaspoon with a smooth edge does just as good a job.

It's not as good as a proper clean by a vet but I had a dog that could not be anaesthetised due to sensitivity (his heart tended to stop)and he refused to let me brush them, so it was chicken pieces and a spoon for the stubborn bits that kept his teeth decent.

I paid $20 per bottle of the Petzlife gel, got it off one of the online stores on ebay, free shipping included.

Ok was that an au eBay shop or os

Overseas - I think it came from the US. I just do a search, include international sellers, then rank them by price + postage, cheapest first (but always check the seller rating).