Show Grounds In The Country - Nsw

poppop

I am just after some feedback on what the dog rings at the show grounds at Sofala are like please, for the end Feb show?

I love country shows but have sometimes got there to discover absolutely shocking ring conditions - full of bindis and the like, which dogs hate to walk on. Had some spiky things puncture my thongs when I walked in the ring the night before the show at Wagga the other October. I would never go back there again due to the appalling ring conditions, but just interested to hear if people who did the Sofala show in Feb 2010 have any recollection of whether the ring was in good nick or not?

The best rings last year at country shows were Wellington in May - absolutely beautiful.

Thanks

Sofala is quite a bushy ground-and it will depend on whether it has rained as to the condition of the rings. There is plenty of shade, as the rings are surrounded by large trees. It is not a well manicured showground like Rylstone or Wellington.

Had some spiky things puncture my thongs when I walked in the ring the night before the show at Wagga the other October. I would never go back there again due to the appalling ring conditions, Thanks

Really? In the ring? And did you think to tell the show secretary so they could deal with the problem? I am astounded at this only because the rings have not long been ploughed up and reseaded and if there are bindiis or similar then we need to get rid of them. I will appreciate your feedback on where the prickles are.

Had some spiky things puncture my thongs when I walked in the ring the night before the show at Wagga the other October. I would never go back there again due to the appalling ring conditions, Thanks

Really? In the ring? And did you think to tell the show secretary so they could deal with the problem? I am astounded at this only because the rings have not long been ploughed up and reseaded and if there are bindiis or similar then we need to get rid of them. I will appreciate your feedback on where the prickles are.

There has been bindi's at this show for the last few october shows, And yes people on the committee are awear as thay are of the uneven pot hole ground that had people doing upsa daisy's. Don't forget all the slippery cape weed in winter.

Edited by morsha_68

Sofala grounds are not well-groomed lawns. Just a country showground with rough grass and - if it has been raining and the grass is green - quite often lots of kangaroo poop as well. The main problem I have is that the toy ring is closely placed between the other 2 rings and it is necessary to take small dogs past many larger breeds waiting to enter the ring. The food is always delicious. The toilets nearest the ring are pit toilets but the other block up near the gate is fine.

:thumbsup: I have Toys and I have never had any trouble with Bindi's, prickles or anything else...

at Wagga....any ground can get slippery in winter....like I said ANY!!!

Maybe I am lucky, my dogs do not seem to be wrapped in cotton wool so not alot bothers them.... :laugh:

Yes, absolutely spiky plants and bindis in the ring. The G.S. ring was not quite as bad as the rest of the rings by the end of the day but I suspect that was cos it'd been trampled on by so many dogs by then. There were bindis and cat's claw with its long spiky parts (and is what went up through my thong the night before).

My husband - and I believe other exhibitors - was very vocal in reporting the poor state of the rings to the show secretary at the time. This was probably 3 years ago so maybe it has changed since then - and if the rings have been plouged up and re-seeded then it sounds very promising for the condition of them.

:thumbsup: I have Toys and I have never had any trouble with Bindi's, prickles or anything else...

at Wagga....any ground can get slippery in winter....like I said ANY!!!

Maybe I am lucky, my dogs do not seem to be wrapped in cotton wool so not alot bothers them.... :laugh:

Well toys dont get moved much at Wagga Wagga and that ring is not to bad exept for the tree (lovely on a warm day).But in the bottom ring it can be quite bad, It also has a good work out hill.The ring next door no bindis but a lot of bad pot holes.And these are not really bindi's thay are three eyed jacks enought to bring tears to the eyes of the toughest.

Edited by morsha_68

I guess I have just been lucky then, I have shown in all the rings and never had a prickle of any sort. There is one hole in what is usually the gundog ring which keeps getting filled up. At least it has only been a quagmire a couple of times, unlike one club ground which seems to be a bog practically every year!