Ticks In The Hunter Valley

Echo

I will be attending a dog show in the Hunter Valley (NSW) in May this year.

The show will be held in Pokolbin and we are staying on a rural property nearby.

Can someone tell me if there is a need to worry about Ticks in this area? If so, what is the best product I can buy to deal with this? Thanks.

I live about 5klm's away from Pokolbin and in 20 years have never seen a tick on any of my animals, dogs, horses or cattle. But than I can't guarantee there are none.

My daughter works at our local vet, will get her to post when she gets home from work this afternoon.

Edited by smooch

I'm Smooch's daughter - there has been quite a few tick outbreaks in our area. I'd use a preventic collar just to be on the safe side. I don't on mine as we don't have wildlife in this area traipsing through the place. You could also use something like Advantix every two weeks for a month proceeding the show to build up a chemical tolerance. Daily tick searches are a must :)

Edited by Everythings Shiny

I'm Smooch's daughter - there has been quite a few tick outbreaks in our area. I'd use a preventic collar just to be on the safe side. I don't on mine as we don't have wildlife in this area traipsing through the place. You could also use something like Advantix every two weeks for a month proceeding the show to build up a chemical tolerance. Daily tick searches are a must :)

Smooch and Everythings Shiny, thank you both for the reply.

I think I will buy some of the collars.

Cheers

Julie