Community Foster Care Networks

We've had a few emails from groups querying this. Here is the situation.

Under the Domestic Animals Act amended as at the end of December 2011 Community Foster Care Networks (CFCNs) are for the first time given a legal definition as follows

community foster care networks means an organisation that -

(a) arranges temporary housing for cats or dogs in private residential premises instead of other premises; and

(b) seeks permanent housing for the dogs or cats.

This is very important as it is the first time we have been recognised as entity in the Act. The definition DRAV provided was accepted pretty much as was given.

Under the amended act:

CFCNs can have a Section 84Y with Council (but council unfortunately is not yet obliged to rehome or give a Section 84Y) that allows them to take unvetworked dogs

One CFCN can pass on a dog or cat to another CFCN but ONLY if vetworked; that is one group cannot take advantage of the Section 84Y of another group.

A CFCN can pass on a dog or cat to a shelter WITHOUT vetwork as they are bound by their own Code to vetwork those dogs. This was a grey area before that we are pleased has been clarified.

CFCNs can operate as foster carers for a pound or council direct as can individuals. This would be applicable to a local organisation in particular wanting to take care of say an ill dog till it was recovered, but again is dependent on the goodwill of the Council to allow foster carers.

Any group that keeps multiple unregistered dogs and rehomes from their own premises is not covered under the Act as they are not operating as a CFCN, are not entitled to a Section 84Y, and are in fact operating as a Domestic Animal Business and come under that more onerous Code. This is very important when some small puppy farmers are beginning to call themselves rescue groups and rehome to gullible members of the public as such.

No doubt the new Code being looked at for Breeding and Rearing Establishments will look closely at this issue too.

Councils are getting very edgy about the number of unregistered foster dogs being held in their area and this needs further attention by both the government and the rescue groups themselves. The status described above was granted on the basis that CFCNs acknowledged their responsibilty to obey the voluntary Code of Private keeping of dogs and cats.

Any group that keeps multiple unregistered dogs and rehomes from their own premises is not covered under the Act as they are not operating as a CFCN, are not entitled to a Section 84Y, and are in fact operating as a Domestic Animal Business and come under that more onerous Code.

Can you explain this further? What about a person running a rescue group that has dogs on their own premises, and out with other foster carers. Most people I know keep a few foster dogs themselves. Many keep the dogs for a quarantine period, then get the vet work done, then place in a foster home. What is this person's position?

Any group that keeps multiple unregistered dogs and rehomes from their own premises is not covered under the Act as they are not operating as a CFCN, are not entitled to a Section 84Y, and are in fact operating as a Domestic Animal Business and come under that more onerous Code.

Can you explain this further? What about a person running a rescue group that has dogs on their own premises, and out with other foster carers. Most people I know keep a few foster dogs themselves. Many keep the dogs for a quarantine period, then get the vet work done, then place in a foster home. What is this person's position?

If you have foster dogs of your own and are obeying the council bylaws that is permissible. You cannot be keeping and rehoming all dogs and cats from your own home and be a community fostercare network. The entity is based on groups having their dogs and cats in various foster homes. Once you are over your council's limit, and have unregistered dogs you have a problem.

The problem area in Victoria is that councils will not give a set time in which you can keep a dog on your premises without registering the animal. This needs to change so we know if we can keep a dog a month, two weeks, three weeks. And it varies from council to council. And we have found that councils are tougher on foster carers than 'normal' dog owners if that dog is found outside the premises for any reason, even if it has just arrived.

I don'[t know if that answers the question or not. But if you are rehoming all your group's dogs from your own home you are not a cfc network. You are then basically kennels and a DAB.

Edited by vicdrg

Fantastic thread vic dog.

I have had so many problems with the council and the random things they have told me

They are happy for me to foster, if i have the dog under 3 months without registering it, but wont give it to me in writing. What good is that?

The 3rd dog permit applies to a certain dog so each new dog needs a new 3rd dog permit. I have dogs average 3 weeks and permit takes longer than that to apply for.

Followed by 3rd dog permit applies to any dog

Happy for me to have 3 dogs no permit so long as they are registered somewhere ie anyones house doesn't have to be mine.

All make no sense at all

My mothers council has given her completely different explainations. Hers is easier as it is only a second dog so so just re registers each one.

It is all made harder by the fact we mainly take bull breeds, so can't afford to have a dispute with the council over said dog if one gets out and the rules change again

All entirely frustrating!!!... but this:

It is all made harder by the fact we mainly take bull breeds, so can't afford to have a dispute with the council over said dog if one gets out and the rules change again

seriously makes my blood boil!!! :(:mad:

It would be solved if there was some temporary registration issued at zero cost in the name of the shelter/pound/rescue group who takes responsibility for rehoming the animal, and not the foster carer. With say a 6 month period of grace before permanent registration is required.

It would be solved if there was some temporary registration issued at zero cost in the name of the shelter/pound/rescue group who takes responsibility for rehoming the animal, and not the foster carer. With say a 6 month period of grace before permanent registration is required.

yes a step at a time. But we will get there. Registration, ownerships/microchips are two important issues to be sorted on a state basis not a council by council.

Yes we need a state rule as a dog can get picked up in a neighbouring council

I would like to see something like a 3rd dog permit but for a foster dog permit.

I think it would stop ppl taking on too many fosters, in that now it is so hard to do the right thing so if they have 1 unregistered dog why not have 5. Where as if you have a permit for 1 i think ppl would be more likely to stick to it

ABC yes the bull breed thing is annoying, but the best way is to work with the law so they cant catch you out and registration is the only thing that will save any dog. The dog i had get out was a lab, they tried to call pit bull so no dog is safe unless registered. They wrote amstaff on release once they failed to prove she was pitbull despite all her papers saying lab