Puppy Alwyas Has Diarrhea

Archie's mum

Ok it's been a week or so and I put him onto lamb and brown rice mix and his poo is perfect only problem is now he's scratching so much he has big scabby area under his chin and chest. Could this be the lamb now? I'm going to switch him to kangaroo or rabbit today and hope his poo still stays fine and his itching stops. It's nothing in the garden and I stopped him playing with plastic objects. Can anyone suggest why he's scratching so much??

I would try not to switch your pups food around too much.

I would get the scratching checked by a vet - particularly if it is scabby with hair loss ect - you may want to do a skin scraping for demodex mites?

It sounds like this pups immune system may be under a fair bit of stress.

What food was it the breeder fed? (perhaps someone can help you locate it or something similar).

What has the breeder suggested?

Edited by espinay2

Does your puppy have diarrhea, that is produces water, or is it what we may call a bit lose.

If your puppy is only a bit lose I would stop feeding it large amounts of food.

Sometimes we feed to much and it just pushes the food through quickly and causes a lose stool.

Archie seems happy and healthy, his coat is shiny and now the diahreah has stopped. With his itching he has no loss of fur now just areas on his chest/neck that he scratches till they're scabby. I believe the breeder may have had a problem with diarrhea in her dogs because she said if I find a solution to tell her. I bought some kangaroo meat and am adding that very gradually. If he's not better by thursday I'll go to the vet.

Archie seems happy and healthy, his coat is shiny and now the diahreah has stopped. With his itching he has no loss of fur now just areas on his chest/neck that he scratches till they're scabby. I believe the breeder may have had a problem with diarrhea in her dogs because she said if I find a solution to tell her. I bought some kangaroo meat and am adding that very gradually. If he's not better by thursday I'll go to the vet.

What flea treatment do you use Archie's Mum? he may have a flea allergy if he's still scratching. Just a thought. :shrug:

If the breeder is having the problem too - does she have birds of any kind (including poultry) and/or are there wild birds about her property? As mentioned previously I might be inclined to check for coccidia.

That would have been my starting point.

If the breeder is having the problem too - does she have birds of any kind (including poultry) and/or are there wild birds about her property? As mentioned previously I might be inclined to check for coccidia.

That would have been my starting point.

Mine too.