My Dog Qq

Gotta love the typo's... :rolleyes: i try and edit the major ones i make but sometimes it gets to a point that i just ignore them...lol.

Umm...a lil hijack...how often does that 50% of weight at 5-6 months thing hold true?

HI Tiffany

if you are truely concerned about your puppy not being heavy enough, what I would suggest is changing the puppy food you are feeding.

Pal Puppy biscuits number 1 ingredient is wheat, which is a filler product and does not have much nutritional value.

We use Advance large breed growth and my 6.5 month old puppy is on 2 c of biscuit and 1/4 c of mince a day and is excellent condition. Advance's number 1 ingredient is poultry, with a protein level of 28.0% compared to 21% for Pal puppy, the fat content, the nutrient that gives the puppy energy and fat stores is not less than 16% in Advance and 12% in Pal puppy.

Thou Advance, 15kg bag can set you back $75, you will feed less to get better results. I have my large dog on just 3 c of this biscuit a day and nothing else, the others have some meat added, my choice and all are doing great, with the mature ones having the same food amount as the puppy and some less, as they put on too much weight.

I would switch to a premium dog biscuit, you may find you will save yourself a lot in long the run, not too mention less stress and worry.

HOlly

However, I've just bought "supercoat puppy food", if that will not help my puppy, I will switch to the food you have suggested. Thank you for all your advice!

:rolleyes: I make too many typo's Kitkat, my fingers type faster then my brain :rolleyes: at least that is my excuse.

the 50% thing? Well my pups dam is 31kg and she at 6.5 months weighs just over 20kg, does have a bit more than norm in rib coverage.

It is a guide only, I have never thought about this before this thread, so was doing some net searching. I don't weigh my pups, apart from at time of worming, what I do is the look and feel, if they are looking fat, scrawny, too lean I will adjust their diet and their volume to improve. Friends, religously weigh every few days from birth, which I also do not do, when they are babies, I do a pinch test on the top of the neck, if the skin drops quickly they are hydrated adn if their bellies are round, they are getting enough food

Edited by holly

Tiffany, some have great success with Supercoat Puppy, I find it too rich and my pups adn dogs get diarrohea on it, especially if they also get meat in the diet, just keep an eye on your pup and if you find the poos get soft and do not improve then this food may not agree with them.