Husky Started Whining And Scratching

Zerofallen

I would go to the nearest decent pet shop and invest in a metal crate TODAY. Start feeding the dog in it and start giving her time inside in it in the loungeroom when you are there.

That way dog can be inside, and there is no issue with 'accident's involving dog and bub because dog can be confined unless under close supervision.

Do NOT rely on a baby gate to seperate the dog from your baby. A locked door (either on the crate or a proper door) is a far safer option.

I'd never rely on a baby gate to separate the dog from a baby... It currently separates the dog from the cats. Heh

She's been crate trained as is alright spending time in a decent sized soft one we have so that'll be a possibility. Still it doesn't stop the fact that she needs to be able to spend time outside by herself.

My wife has contacted ProK9, so we will probably get their help.

Doesn't help when she puts her foot down and says that if it continues then we'll have to get rid of her. :(

I wouldn't allow that to happen though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't help when she puts her foot down and says that if it continues then we'll have to get rid of her. :(

I wouldn't allow that to happen though.

Oh dear. My guess is you may not have much choice.

Does your wife pay any attention to the dog?

She does... Probably more so than I do since she's home all day. Ishi and her usually hang out together.

I would probably check out a couple of local boarding kennels now too. Get an idea of which ones you would be happy with because if you find your wife gets overwhelmed when bubs is home it might be to everyone's benefit to have a few days apart from each other.

how much exercise is she getting?

I take her for a half hour run, or an hour walk everyday. It's no different than she's always had.

Just a suggestiion ..

Increase excercise to see if this will help her to settle say another half hour per day. Maybe take the edge off and help her relax .it may take a week to notice any difference . I know it's good timing when your expecting a baby - but it might just help !

Get some professional help if needed .. You will be busy . Enjoy bubs :)

So we're booked in with ProK9 for March the 17th... A little late, but should be beneficial all round. We'll be given some pointers for the interim to help once we put together a list of issues we want to address.

The past few days have been pretty good though... I took Ishi to my parent's place on Tuesday and let her play with their dog for the day while I was at work to give my wife a bit of a break. Apparently in between playing and running around she was just relaxing on the patio and not making a sound. Afterwards she spent a small amount of the evening outside for dinner and then came in for the evening and the night... It may be seen as letting her get used to sleeping inside, but it does eliminate the chance of her scratching and whining so it's a double edged sword there.

Yesterday I was home from work as we had a obstetrician appointment in the morning and while we were out Ishi was obviously in the backyard. Even after we got home though we left her out there and barely heard a sound from her... I think she might have scratched once very quickly, but that was ignored. She didn't come inside until after 7:30pm, and again spent the night quietly asleep... I'll find out tonight how she was today, but it seems like we're progressing... Baby steps though. Heh

In regards to finding a kennel, I've spoken with my parents and they're happy to take care of Ishi during my wife's labour and even afterwards if things become a little stressful. If they weren't there is a kennel we've used in the past that were really good, so that's a possibility. I think we'll be all right though.

Thanks for your help everyone. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, but our daughter, Winter, was born on the 18th of February so things have been hectic since then... Trying to manage everything and things are going ok.

Haven't really made any progress with Ishi though... She's still sleeping inside at night time, and is sometimes a pain during the day while outside. She also scratched a friend's son on his face due to being a little too excited the other day so that's something that will need to be addressed too. It seems that all her training goes out the window when there's a bit of stimulation. She is quite gentle around Winter though and will come up and sniff her and then leave her alone (with me close by and ready to pounce if things even look like they will turn sour), so that's looking promising.

I just cannot wait for the behaviourist from ProK9 to come over and help out though... In the mean time I'll take some time each day and continue her training.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but our daughter, Winter, was born on the 18th of February so things have been hectic since then... Trying to manage everything and things are going ok.

Haven't really made any progress with Ishi though... She's still sleeping inside at night time, and is sometimes a pain during the day while outside. She also scratched a friend's son on his face due to being a little too excited the other day so that's something that will need to be addressed too.

Easily fixed. No access to visiting kids. Safer for them, safer for her.

It seems that all her training goes out the window when there's a bit of stimulation. She is quite gentle around Winter though and will come up and sniff her and then leave her alone (with me close by and ready to pounce if things even look like they will turn sour), so that's looking promising.

How so? You won't be able to leave them unsupervised for years yet.

Haven't really made any progress with Ishi though... She's still sleeping inside at night time, and is sometimes a pain during the day while outside. She also scratched a friend's son on his face due to being a little too excited the other day so that's something that will need to be addressed too.

Easily fixed. No access to visiting kids. Safer for them, safer for her.

It seems that all her training goes out the window when there's a bit of stimulation. She is quite gentle around Winter though and will come up and sniff her and then leave her alone (with me close by and ready to pounce if things even look like they will turn sour), so that's looking promising.

How so? You won't be able to leave them unsupervised for years yet.

Such a negative response... In regards to your first statement, she shouldn't be jumping at all, so whether it's on me or another adult or a child it doesn't matter. It is something I've worked on before and thought I had sorted, but obviously it needs some more work. And for the second one, that's plainly obvious... I was just mentioning that Ishi is not displaying any aggression or anxiety towards Winter, since she is a new addition which I think is a good sign.

Such a negative response... In regards to your first statement, she shouldn't be jumping at all, so whether it's on me or another adult or a child it doesn't matter. It is something I've worked on before and thought I had sorted, but obviously it needs some more work. And for the second one, that's plainly obvious... I was just mentioning that Ishi is not displaying any aggression or anxiety towards Winter, since she is a new addition which I think is a good sign.

Yes it does!!!! Dogs have been seized and destroyed for less. The best protection for your dog and visiting children is to keep them separate so that lapses in training don't occur. If you think that's being "negative" then I hope to God you don't ever have to deal with a parent on the warpath against your dog.

How much do you know about Huskies, neonatal children and fatalities? Yes, disinterest is probably a good thing but your child is tiny, and all it takes is a temporary lapse of concentration and there could be heartbreak. She'd not be getting near enough to sniff my baby if it were me.

One person's negativity is another's trying to warn you that the safest way to keep this dog, your child and visiting children safe is to separate them. If that sounds like a Chicken Little impression then I'm prepared to cop flack for it. My interest is in the safety of kids and the preservation of the life of your dog.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Yes it does!!!! Dogs have been seized and destroyed for less. The best protection for your dog and visiting children is to keep them separate so that lapses in training don't occur. If you think that's being "negative" then I hope to God you don't ever have to deal with a parent on the warpath against your dog.

How much do you know about Huskies, neonatal children and fatalities? Yes, disinterest is probably a good thing but your child is tiny, and all it takes is a temporary lapse of concentration and there could be heartbreak. She'd not be getting near enough to sniff my baby if it were me.

One person's negativity is another's trying to warn you that the safest way to keep this dog, your child and visiting children safe is to separate them. If that sounds like a Chicken Little impression then I'm prepared to cop flack for it. My interest is in the safety of kids and the preservation of the life of your dog.

That's not what I meant at all. Either I didn't explain myself properly or you misinterpreted it. I merely said it was negative as it came across as you expecting the worse, not just in the situation but in my actions as well.

The only interaction Ishi has with Winter is when someone is holding her... She is not given the opportunity at all to do anything, and there is no lapse of concentration nor will there be as I am well aware of what could happen.

With the jumping, that was a situation that even though it was supervised I didn't anticipate, but now that I know then she won't be given that much free reign anymore. It is still something that will need further training though.

I didn't intend any comment on your actions ZF.

But in my experience if you plan for "the worst" it never happens.

All I will say is be careful with such a tiny baby. When she's a bit older (say over 6 months) then more interaction might be done under supervision. But right now? I'd be erring well on the side of caution.

That's true... And noted. Believe me though, I would never let anything happen to Winter. :)

EDIT: I think the main issue is my post seemed quite blasé. Sorry about that.

Edited by Zerofallen

That's true... And noted. Believe me though, I would never let anything happen to Winter. :)

EDIT: I think the main issue is my post seemed quite blasé. Sorry about that.

No biggie. I get that you are a committed parent and dog owner. :)

I'm glad you have a gorgeous new baby (photos???) and I am also very glad that you will soon be getting help with your dog :)

Supervising a largeish dog with kids is necessary , but one second is all it takes for a claw to accidentally connect with an eyeball or mouth..and lead to all sorts of heartache :( .separation and good training are essential.

Not sure if I posted this link for you previously..hope you can get from it, some useful info .

I'm glad you have a gorgeous new baby (photos???) and I am also very glad that you will soon be getting help with your dog :)

Supervising a largeish dog with kids is necessary , but one second is all it takes for a claw to accidentally connect with an eyeball or mouth..and lead to all sorts of heartache :( .separation and good training are essential.

Not sure if I posted this link for you previously..hope you can get from it, some useful info .

I don't think you've posted that link before... I'll check it out.

Anyway, as for pics... This is Winter Amelia.

Having a bath with mummy...

post-34163-0-16160600-1331010427_thumb.jpg

And this is how we prefer her at the moment... Asleep and quiet. Heh

post-34163-0-73981600-1331010417_thumb.jpg