Smelly Poodle

Charjas

My male poodle can be smelly. His coat isn't as nice and full and thick as his sister. After some advice from the poodle forum a change of dry food helped. I found he smelt worse after lying in the sun but since changing the food he is much better

Definitely buy some clippers. It honestly isn't that hard. I am not even in the same league as the awesome groomer we occasionally use but am able to keep them clean and tidy (they don't look in the mirror) and it saves me a fair bit of money.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavendergirl

My male poodle can be smelly. His coat isn't as nice and full and thick as his sister. After some advice from the poodle forum a change of dry food helped. I found he smelt worse after lying in the sun but since changing the food he is much better

Definitely buy some clippers. It honestly isn't that hard. I am not even in the same league as the awesome groomer we occasionally use but am able to keep them clean and tidy (they don't look in the mirror) and it saves me a fair bit of money.

Which food do you have him on now? None of the dry foods seem quite right - always seems to be a compromise somewhere!

There's also a specifically formulated 'Poodle Blend' that Royal Canin have- my poodle has this for breakfast and does well on it. Though she's anything but a fussy eater and hasn't had any dietary related problems.

I also suggest buying a pair of clippers. I bought a WAhl Show Pro set online for about $70 (from memory) and while my dog never looks as pristine as she does coming out of the groomer, she's good enough for my less than discerning aesthetic requirements :laugh: The other thing it's good for is just maintaining a professional clip. My dog's coat grows SO bloody quickly, to keep her looking professionally groomed she'd have to go back every 10 days - I just keep her face and little feet shaved and every so often go over her body as well. Almost as good and muchhhhhhhhhhh cheaper!

On advice I tried proplan chicken. It honestly helped. He was so smelly that sometimes I would have to leave the room after he came in from outside. He was on Blackhawk - I think after some deliberation we thought it may have been the emu oil in it but who knows but I do know changing food helped.

There's also a specifically formulated 'Poodle Blend' that Royal Canin have- my poodle has this for breakfast and does well on it. Though she's anything but a fussy eater and hasn't had any dietary related problems.

Whilst Pro-plan isnt spectacular I looked at Royal Canin Poodle but the first ingredient was Maize and some form of meat (not even specified) is 4th on the ingredient list. I look for meat to be the first ingredient and not just "meat" but Chicken or Lamb ect. The Royal Canin food I suspect could have made my boys ears flare up but every dog does well on different foods sometimes its just hard to find the one that suits your dog

Guest lavendergirl

On advice I tried proplan chicken. It honestly helped. He was so smelly that sometimes I would have to leave the room after he came in from outside. He was on Blackhawk - I think after some deliberation we thought it may have been the emu oil in it but who knows but I do know changing food helped.

Whilst Pro-plan isnt spectacular I looked at Royal Canin Poodle but the first ingredient was Maize and some form of meat (not even specified) is 4th on the ingredient list. I look for meat to be the first ingredient and not just "meat" but Chicken or Lamb ect. The Royal Canin food I suspect could have made my boys ears flare up but every dog does well on different foods sometimes its just hard to find the one that suits your dog

I was interested in the Pro Plan but just could not bring myself to use it because of the menadione content - controversial but I would rather avoid any ingredients that have any doubt. I don't know why people recommend Royal Canin either the ingredients look quite poor to me.