Smelly Poodle

Charjas

1329651447[/url]' post='5728936']
1329651086[/url]' post='5728928']
1329649719[/url]' post='5728885']
1329644493[/url]' post='5728724']

I'd be starting with a visit to the vet to eliminate any issues with teeth, ears, anal glands and skin.

Then I'd be bathing him between grooming visits in a good quality shampoo that's got some skin conditioning/soothing agents.

If the Canine Country stuff has preservatives in it, then I'd be discontinuing feeding it and upping the chicken necks and wings.

I switched Charlie to the canine country from barf about 2 years ago and he's been fine. I'm sure it has no preservatives. Charlie has a very sensitive tummy. Chicken necks are still a tad too big for jasper so I chop a small amount and mix with canine country and dry food. Mind you when he arrived he was on pedigree puppy chicken and rice slop. His anal glands were done last visit when I got him desexed. And I haven't seen him drag his bum since.

A mallet will solve that problem for you. Just put them in a plastic bag and bash them flat. :)

Already desexed? How old was he?

I got him at 5 months. He's 7 months now. Was desexed in January.Thanks for the tip re the mallet. Didn't think of that.

I will do his ears again. Haven't found any fleas on him but when I got him he did have some scabs from being bitten. Maybe he's allergic to frontline plus.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will do his ears again. Haven't found any fleas on him but when I got him he did have some scabs from being bitten. Maybe he's allergic to frontline plus.

Unless his ears are grotty, I'd not bother. Does the groomer pluck his ears?

Ditto with the frontline. Are you in a tick area and/or do you have a flea problem? If the answers are no, I'd not be doing that either

I have three poodles and I bath and clip them every two weeks, my house has never smelt doggy. Are you able to have him groomed more often?

I too bath (even if I don't always clip) at least every two weeks and sometimes every week depending what they have been up to and how they smell at the time (mine like to roll in bird poo or other disgusting smelly items at times).

I remember when we purchased another toy breed and the breeder advised to bath about once a month. My response was if they are living inside my home they will be getting bathed every week or two.

Poodles are not supposed to smell.

Some thoughts on what could cause the pup to smell

Yeasty ears

Bad breath - coming from his mouth or stomach

Folds of skin under the lower jaw with "muck" caught.

General all over "doggy smell". Could be caused by all over yeast

Visit the vet, and if the ears are yeasty, he should be able to provide you with a remedy.

If he has skin folds, wash them daily with hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball. This will keep them clean and dry.

If he has an overall smell, with no discernible cause, think about feeding him yoghurt daily, about 1 teaspoon. 1/4 of a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar on his feed could help too. Or put it in the water.

Good luck, would love to know. Smells are often caused to too much oil in the coat and skin, but should not apply to poodles. Would love to know what it is.

The breeder you bought you dog from is well known to be very slow

With pedigree papers

A lot pups leave there with issues sorry but amongst Toy Poodle breeders

This is well known

I didn't say where he came from.

Not directly but you gave enough info for anyone to find out pretty easily. If you didn't mean to, maybe you should change the identifying info.

I don't think that Charjas has crossed the line with mentioning the sire and dam as often knowing the bloodlines can help eg some colours are known to have poorer quality coats - she hasn't made any negative comments about a specific breeder she is just asking questions re: poodle care.

I believe that the problem is that there is often a reluctance to make a comments because of the implications but unfortunately it is often why dog owners end up living with a dog with problems. While I now know more about breeders and issues since I bought my first poodle, I still struggled just recently when looking for a stud dog with regard to being really confident that I was getting the true picture.

While it is fine for those in the know too many find out the hard way as for some breeders it is strictly a business - not a hobby or a passion.

Edited by Vacuna

Spare a thought for the Forum owner who does not want to be involved with a lawsuit.

I am not suggesting that this forum be used that way. I actually keep out of threads heading in that direction.

But after reading threads in this forum - should I ever be in the market for a staffy I wouldn't be looking for a blue or if I did I would be fully aware of the pitfalls as I am now know that a lot of blue staffys can have problems especially with skin conditions.

I believe there are ways to raise awareness and/or educate without crossing the line or making it a personal thing.

Poodles are not supposed to smell.

Some thoughts on what could cause the pup to smell

Bad breath - coming from his mouth or stomach

Any other tips for helping with that. Dog has recently had teeth cleaned but the problem is still there.

Not directly but you gave enough info for anyone to find out pretty easily. If you didn't mean to, maybe you should change the identifying info.

I don't think that Charjas has crossed the line with mentioning the sire and dam

I didn't mean to imply that they had crossed a line. They seemed surprised that someone knew who the breeder was and I pointed out that it was from the info they gave. They may not have been aware that by giving that info, their breeder could be found.

Have you tried a medicated wash such as Malaseb - might help if it is a yeast problem?

Don't think it is a yeast problem - had teeth cleaned less than a month ago and problem of deposits on teeth resurfacing already.

Spoke to vet that cleaned them and will take dog back for another consultation in an effort to control the problem.

Odour is definitely from mouth and or stomach - hoping someone maybe able to offer some suggestions. Other dogs on the same diet with no outward problems. Although sometimes fussy and definitely small eaters they have raw meat, premium kibble, necks, meaty bones, eggs, cheese and homemade liver treats - try to keep preservatives to a minimum.

Guest lavendergirl

Have you tried a medicated wash such as Malaseb - might help if it is a yeast problem?

Don't think it is a yeast problem - had teeth cleaned less than a month ago and problem of deposits on teeth resurfacing already.

Spoke to vet that cleaned them and will take dog back for another consultation in an effort to control the problem.

Odour is definitely from mouth and or stomach - hoping someone maybe able to offer some suggestions. Other dogs on the same diet with no outward problems. Although sometimes fussy and definitely small eaters they have raw meat, premium kibble, necks, meaty bones, eggs, cheese and homemade liver treats - try to keep preservatives to a minimum.

When you see the vet ask him to have a good look at his throat - could be an infection. My boy had bad breath for ages and the vet kept missing that he had a throat infection - an antibiotic injection and it cleared up. Just a thought.

When you see the vet ask him to have a good look at his throat - could be an infection. My boy had bad breath for ages and the vet kept missing that he had a throat infection - an antibiotic injection and it cleared up. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info - he was on antibotics after teeth cleaning but when I spoke to the Vet he did say there could be several causes and to bring him in for a look.

Unless his ears are grotty, I'd not bother. Does the groomer pluck his ears?

Ditto with the frontline. Are you in a tick area and/or do you have a flea problem? If the answers are no, I'd not be doing that either

The groomer does his ears but I also do them in between. As I live near the bush ( Menai area) the vet said to use frontline monthly which I have always done although never really found a flea on either.

As suggested, yoghurt to help with gut flora, and apple cider vinegar to balance. He could have tonsilitis, that causes bad breath. Ask the vet about that. If his teeth are manky, think about something to help them - dental sticks, greenies, pig trotters etc.

The breeder you bought you dog from is well known to be very slow

With pedigree papers

A lot pups leave there with issues sorry but amongst Toy Poodle breeders

This is well known

I don't think that Charjas has crossed the line with mentioning the sire and dam as often knowing the bloodlines can help eg some colours are known to have poorer quality coats - she hasn't made any negative comments about a specific breeder she is just asking questions re: poodle care.

I believe that the problem is that there is often a reluctance to make a comments because of the implications but unfortunately it is often why dog owners end up living with a dog with problems. While I now know more about breeders and issues since I bought my first poodle, I still struggled just recently when looking for a stud dog with regard to being really confident that I was getting the true picture.

While it is fine for those in the know too many find out the hard way as for some breeders it is strictly a business - not a hobby or a passion.

Ok sorry if I put the wrong info up but have removed it. I believe his parents were silver but he has quite a mix of colours. He has a very pretty light silvery face but darker ears . Lighter legs but dark feet. On his body he has patches that look almost brown with one dark patch on shoulders that looks like a cowlick. He's quite a mix of colours and textures although as he grows its getting more wavy. I don't think charlie got his curly coat until he was way over one. Ill look into some products for him but have never bathed charlie too often as I though it was bad for his skin.

Ok sorry if I put the wrong info up but have removed it. I believe his parents were silver but he has quite a mix of colours. He has a very pretty light silvery face but darker ears . Lighter legs but dark feet. On his body he has patches that look almost brown with one dark patch on shoulders that looks like a cowlick. He's quite a mix of colours and textures although as he grows its getting more wavy. I don't think charlie got his curly coat until he was way over one. Ill look into some products for him but have never bathed charlie too often as I though it was bad for his skin.

[/quote

Coat textures vary from dog to dog. I have one with a very thick curly coat and the other I would describe as moth eaten as the coat appears patchy. I have been clipping her very short and it appears to be thickening up but I don't believe she will never have a great coat.

As long as you use a good quality dog shampoo he will be fine. I use groomers shampoo and conditioner - they have one with eveing primrose oil which is promoted as good for skin irritations. Just make sure that that whatever shampoo you use that you thoroughly rinse out all the shampoo. A good hint I was given was to dilute the shampoo with water in a bottle - shake and pour over - that way you don't get blobs of concentrated shampoo sitting in parts of the coat.

While poodles don't shed or get a real doggy smell they do need to be kept clean and groomed for the benefit of both the dog and the owner.

In the warmer weather I bath mine usually once a week and sometimes draw it out to every fortnight in winter. My two live inside 24/7 so I appreciate a pleasant smelling dog.

• 1 month later...