Sbt With Lumps

shags

Hi all,

Our little 6 month old SBT girl Shanti is at the Vet as we speak, as she came up with lumps all over her body that could be compared to hives. They came up very quickly last night and still there this morning. I am hoping the Vet will provide some answers, but I thought I may post the issue and see if anyone else has experienced the same with their dog/puppy?

She is a little grass sensitive it seems and also we only just changed her dinner to BARF the night before, but not sure if this could be the cause or just coincidence?

Other than the spots and a little irritation she seemed to behave very normal.

Could a bite cause this or any other allergy that people are aware of?

Thanks

Eamonn

Dogs do get hives.

It does sound like an allergic reaction but your vet is in the best position to advise.

Just out of idle curiosity, what colour is she?

She is a white pied SBT. Mostly white.

They can be very fine coated but lumps all over the body suggest more than a contact allergy. See what the vet says.

Dogs do get hives.

It does sound like an allergic reaction but your vet is in the best position to advise.

Just out of idle curiosity, what colour is she?

She is a white pied SBT. Mostly white.

They can be very fine coated but lumps all over the body suggest more than a contact allergy. See what the vet says.

The only other circumstance which may have influenced this, was that it was a very hot and muggy day in Perth also. She doesnt cope well with the heat. But we also gave her a couple of chicken wings in the morning and then I caught her chewing on the remains of one that evening before dinner. This bit of raw chicken was outside in the heat all day. Not sure of this could have been an issue?

This is a pic of what happened to my girl during spring (she was 5 months old) the lumps just came up soooo quick :eek: but by the time I called the vet, picked up my oldest from school and got to the vets they had gone down. Home again and an hour later she had them again. Hour later and they were gone. Same thing happened the next day but thankfully hasn't happened again. My vet said it more than likely was a reaction to an insect sting/bite, probably a bee, but with all the different ants around here it just could be that. He also said it's much the same with dogs as it is with people, as in either she'll build up a immunity to it with more bites and time, or the opposite and she could become serverly allergic. I was to keep an eye on her and if her breathing became forced of she seemed "not herself" to get her to the vet asap. Thankfully she seems to have built up an immunity (I think/hope) as it hasn't happened again since and the ants here are worse than ever :mad (with the weather we're having) and the bees have been still around (but it could just be dumb luck with her :laugh: ) I have some phenergan here anyway just in case.

Because your girl has skin issues that could be why the lumps are on her so long or she has less tolerance to bites/stings or could it be because (if it was a bee sting or wasp for instance) that the stinger is still in her skin? Ask your vet as may questions as possible and what to do if it happens again. Hope it clears up well for her :)

(Hope the pics turns out for you to see...lol)

post-40535-0-60707200-1329808899_thumb.jpg

Edited by just1more

Thanks Just1more. That is exactly what our little girl looked like? Probably more lumps but smaller. I think a bite is what it was then as she was also chewing at her hind leg? Must have been the spot. Thanks for your time with this post.

Bruno's been lumpy for most of the summer. I think it's mozzie bites and/or an allergic reaction to them. I've tried everything without joy. He doesn't seem bothered by them so we'll just ride it out and hopefully he'll come good in autumn.

Both my dogs had the same as just1more's dog last year, vet said the same thing probably a reaction to some plant or animal. No sign of it this year :shrug:

Pretty sure one dog was reacting to the grass as she would lay on her side and then get up and be covered in lumps. But no repeat of it this year, yay. But the other one had the lumps all over.

The Vet confirmed it would have been a bee-sting and then I found, what was most likely the offender in the backyard on the paving (one dead bee!). She is all good now and 100% back to normal afetr a shot of a anti-histamine. We also ot some Phenergan for any future episodes as it is possible it could effect her breathing, which would be bad. A good outcome and very relieved.

Thanks Just1more. That is exactly what our little girl looked like? Probably more lumps but smaller. I think a bite is what it was then as she was also chewing at her hind leg? Must have been the spot. Thanks for your time with this post.

No worries :) My girl did have a lot more bumps on her but by the time I got the camera out and tried to get pics (so I could show the vet) and trying to get a good angle to show the bumps, half of them had gone down and ones left were smaller in size. Chewing on her leg is probably a good guess as to where she was bitten as my 2 do the same thing. Glad the you know now what happen and she's all good now :thumbsup: It's just horrible when stuff like this happens to our furkids :(

One of my Staffy girls had something similar when she was a pup, we took her to the vets and got an anti-histamine shot etc, the good news is it never happened again.

You mentioned BARF, so thought I would just say my Staffy's dont do well on Beef, they eat Roo and Chicken but have a bad reaction to beef (Not lumps though)

One of my Staffy girls had something similar when she was a pup, we took her to the vets and got an anti-histamine shot etc, the good news is it never happened again.

You mentioned BARF, so thought I would just say my Staffy's dont do well on Beef, they eat Roo and Chicken but have a bad reaction to beef (Not lumps though)

She is all good now in regard to the lumps and the anti histamine worked. But now she is limping badly following hurting her paw last night. Not sure what it is, but I am sure she will recover. She seems to be having one little drama after another at the moment. A bit of bad luck I hope.

She is all good now in regard to the lumps and the anti histamine worked. But now she is limping badly following hurting her paw last night. Not sure what it is, but I am sure she will recover. She seems to be having one little drama after another at the moment. A bit of bad luck I hope.

Oh no poor lil' girl :( When I got my 2 SBT's it felt like the first couple months I was at the vets every week :eek: Lucky I have nice vets and they actually only charged me their short consult fees a couple times (I'm a bit of a worry wort...but safe than sorry tho ;) ) I hope your girl is back up and well again soon :)

She is on the mend Just1more. Still limping a bit but slowly improving. She does seem to like the Vet, so maybe we have a dog who has worked out to act sick so she can go to the vet and get pampered by the nurses.

Glad to hear she is on the mend!

Putting my hand up for the "Staffy-pups-always-at-the-vet" club also!

Our Vet is just down the road. I am considering building a 'mono-rail' or a 'flying fox' and just sending her down there on her own every other day or she could learn to use them herself. May even get her a mobile phone so she can make her own appointments? A credit card would probably be handy too.

Dogs can have human antihistamines if this happens again.

My old stafford had allergies and used to get hives, so he used to take a polamine tablet each day in allergy season... No more hives.

Edited by Staffyluv

One of my two is that the Vet so much, one year they sent us a Christmas hamper for being one of their top customers.

One of my two is that the Vet so much, one year they sent us a Christmas hamper for being one of their top customers.

:laugh: :laugh: We aren't quite in the hamper club yet!

But we've had more vet visits in 5.5months with the pup than my 3 horses have had in about 5 years!

Shags - that is a great idea! Vet-monorail! Let me know how you go with it, i think i could make use of the same thing!