Strained Knee

Huntia

Hi all,

I seem to be the unluckiest dog owner at the moment, or at least my dogs are unlucky :(:cry:

My 21 month old RR has strained a ligament, and from what the chiro said I assume it is the cruciate ligament?

Earlier in the week I was practising stacking him when I noticed that his left hind leg "knee" was not pointing straight forward but was out to the side at an angle and that there was a "lump".

He was walking fine no limp at all and is weight bearing all four legs equally,the only sign of discomfort is when the 13 yr old RR sits on him, than he has a low growl, which is not normal for him.

The next day I took him to a chiropractor that was highly recommended by my breeder and others. He gave him a thorough look over and work over, and stated that he had strained the ACL joint, gave him and injection and said not too let the dog run for a week, but take him for lots of walks.

So since Tuesday he has been crated, kenneld, confined to the house and only let out on a lead for walks.

What I would like to know is there any thing else I should be doing for him?

I have introduced Pernease powder into his meal, but should I be massaging it...or anything else?

I would really love to help it heal quickly and properley.

I rang the Chiro back to today and he said it may take 10 -12 days for it to heal.

What are other peoples experiences?

Edited by Huntia

Thanks Coogie.

It looks like i am giving him enough glucosamine, but i could up the fish oil component :) .

And I plan on calling the chiro tomorrow to talk through his injury and progress.

Its weird because he is in no apparent pain but their is still a lump and the angle of the leg is not right. He can bend the leg without problem. :confused::confused:

• 1 month later...