Sprain?

Dame Aussie

Lili hurt her leg chasing the ball a few days ago. No crying/yelping, she just ran back holding up her front right leg.

We haven't been walking her or throwing the ball for her in the hopes it will improve, but today I noticed there is still a very slight limp. I've felt the leg and she is fine with me touching it, she is walking fine, I've just noticed every now and then there is a slight limp. barely even noticeable and she is not holding back with anything as usual :rolleyes:

I've booked her into the vets later this week but was wondering what we should do in regards to exercise (or lack thereof) in the meantime, we won't be playing fetch or anything but should we keep her completely still, ie: no running/playing?

She is an Aussie, a ball obsessed one one at that, and she is a NIGHTMARE without lots of exercise so I'm hoping it's just a sprain or something..... :(

Any opinions greatly appreciated, thanks guys. :)

Same - but if she's really nuts I'd confine it to lead walking... trying to stay calm.

Thanks Flick_Mac, we haven't been doing any walking and she's not AS bad as I thought she would be :laugh: So we'll keep it at that till we get to the vet I think.

Thanks for the replies guys

Lili hurt her leg chasing the ball a few days ago. No crying/yelping, she just ran back holding up her front right leg.

We haven't been walking her or throwing the ball for her in the hopes it will improve, but today I noticed there is still a very slight limp. I've felt the leg and she is fine with me touching it, she is walking fine, I've just noticed every now and then there is a slight limp. barely even noticeable and she is not holding back with anything as usual

I've booked her into the vets later this week but was wondering what we should do in regards to exercise (or lack thereof) in the meantime, we won't be playing fetch or anything but should we keep her completely still, ie: no running/playing?

She is an Aussie, a ball obsessed one one at that, and she is a NIGHTMARE without lots of exercise so I'm hoping it's just a sprain or something.....

You have just described our situation - even down to the now depressed, ball deprived dog at my feet.

My vet today just diagnosed a small cruciate ligament tear. She sent me home, told me to rest her up and NO BALL and gave her a 2 week course of anti-inflamatories.. She can still weight bear in both legs which is great now I am hoping rest will help though my vet today seemed to think that in the next few years she will need surgery

I am just in the process of looking at which supplements to buy - didnt think to ask the vet today

My general rule of thumb :

Ligament trauma : 8 weeks for recovery

Muscle trauma : 6 weeks for recovery

Tendon trauma : 6 weeks for recovery

Bone trauma : 4 weeks for recovery

If you look closely you'll recognise that the number of weeks estimated recovery reflects the number of letters in the body part that is damaged - an easy way of remembering.

Of course, much does depend on how bad the damage is, but I prefer to err on the side of caution and I'd give a longer rest than might be necessary. Rest, or at least avoiding the fast turns that usually come with chasing balls and such like.

Just my opinion. I'm not a Vet. And the above is not intended to be advice in lieu of Veterinary attention if it proves necessary.

Abby ran a flyball comp (doing a PB) with a torn ligament in her toe and limped twice a week later!! I went to the chiro who told me that the injury was three weeks old :eek:

Instead of a nice short 3 week rest she had an 8 week rest to make sure it had healed after the damage done to it.

My boy on the other hand fractured a toe and was a sookie lala and hobbled around everywhere and told everyone he met that he had an ouchie paw- until something interesting happened and he took off but at some point he would remember and start limping and waving his paw at me!