Teeth

*Lolapalooza*

I have a nice 8 month old puppy who lives with my sister, she cracks complete spacks when judges go over her teeth.

She is completely spoilt to the point that she refuses to go outside without a treat (big sigh..... And we're working on re training my sister :/ )

She has a very stable temperament and is totally fine with actual going over etc but teeth the more I push they more she cracks it.

Anyone know how to teach teeth are fun! ?

Start by just getting her used to having her muzzle handled without opening the mouth Firm but kind.

Then having her lip lifted on one side/played with etc.

Then progress to mouth exam.

Do it in exchange for treats and with lots of praise and do it in stages.

Has she finished teething? I remember reading from a well known US handler that he never shows/mouths a teething pup as he doesn't want them having a bad experience while their mouth is sore. Her mouth may be sore if she is still teething or she may recall pain from mouthing while she was.

I have had my baby scared off by rough handling when grabbed by the snout and mouth opened poor little thing was teething and he yelped

of course next show big problems so have held him out from showing for a few weeks and back to basics as above and lots of encouragement

and help from others just giving him a treat and gently touching his face his confidence is coming back and he is having fun again. thumbsup1.gif

Edited by happydogs

I taught a command to my baby "teeth" for when the judge is going to check her mouth. Judges were rough when checking her mouth and head when she was younger and she started to squeal and resist when they tried to check her mouth. Unfortunately this crossed a little into when she was teething. I said the command/checked teeth and reward couple of times throughout the day for about a week and she soon got the hang of it and now that she knows what to expect she is fine.