Chopping Up A Sentinel Chew

LizT

Just to clarify as well…

I am not trying to be stubborn, or dispelling what I know happens quite frequently, just trying to answer the

original post in as honest a manner as I can. If I come across as being too direct… sorry <slap>

Factoring in I do have a very good relationship with Novartis and several of there staff members, both in sales

and senior management, plus meeting some of the big wigs from Switzerland and having the processes both

explained and shown (video/photos) I am just trying to share what I have seen, and been told (yes, I am a sucker

for information overload)

The cutting of chews does happen, that is something we cannot stop or control.

Whether this is being done for financial reasons, or because someone has been advised it is ok… there are too many factors to

consider.

So long as it is known there MAY be a risk doing this, objective completed….

:)

Just to clarify as well…

I am not trying to be stubborn, or dispelling what I know happens quite frequently, just trying to answer the

original post in as honest a manner as I can. If I come across as being too direct… sorry <slap>

Factoring in I do have a very good relationship with Novartis and several of there staff members, both in sales

and senior management, plus meeting some of the big wigs from Switzerland and having the processes both

explained and shown (video/photos) I am just trying to share what I have seen, and been told (yes, I am a sucker

for information overload)

The cutting of chews does happen, that is something we cannot stop or control.

Whether this is being done for financial reasons, or because someone has been advised it is ok… there are too many factors to

consider.

So long as it is known there MAY be a risk doing this, objective completed….

:)

Same here, not trying to be stubborn either. Just pointing out what I have been told...yet again by Animal Health Care Professional, and really, that is WHO we as consumers listen to isn't it. :)

So really, the question is....have my dogs remained flea free out of sheer dumb luck with my divisons...or...the fact that on occassion I purchase a pack of the small for them, and it has been sufficient to cover them? I have been told that 'monthly' chews have a longer than monthly coverage so perhaps that has contributed, or maybe the dosage has been by happenstance within a range to be effective.

Who knows? My bet is on the "sheer dumb luck". ;)

I have to admit I'm not overly concerned about the heartworm protection factor as I'm told it isn't a problem in this area either. My girls live indoors and I doubt a mozzie would be able to penetrate their coat! My GSD lives outdoors and I'm pretty darn sure a mozzie would have a hard time biting him too!

Our poor horses suffer with them though, they have no trouble getting into their summer coats. I'm sure this would be the case with short coated dogs such as my friends Greyhounds.

It's not just about there being mozzies, it's about the conditions being right for the heart worm to develop to infectious stage.

Is this pertaining to the dogs general state of health?

It's not just about there being mozzies, it's about the conditions being right for the heart worm to develop to infectious stage.

No - it's pertaining to temperature conditions being right for the heart worm to develop. Once the temperature drops to under 14 degrees, development of the heart worm, if it is present in your locality any way, stops and has to start again. It takes 2 weeks for the development to reach the stage of being infectious. So you want a climate that drops below 14 degrees in each fortnight cycle.

No - it's pertaining to temperature conditions being right for the heart worm to develop. Once the temperature drops to under 14 degrees, development of the heart worm, if it is present in your locality any way, stops and has to start again. It takes 2 weeks for the development to reach the stage of being infectious. So you want a climate that drops below 14 degrees in each fortnight cycle.

Well that definitely wasn't the last few nights in the Yarra Valley! :) Thanks.