French Bulldog Lameness

Hi Guys,

We just got back after 4 weeks holiday and our French bulldog is lame.

At first we thought he might have had a tick bite but the person looking after him said it had been creeping on for the past 2 weeks (thanks for telling us!)

He's super energetic, walking 5km a day with us so he's very fit. We do not allow him to jump on/ off things or when playing with balls as we are aware the affect that this can have on their spines.

I think he's now got a neurological problem - his back legs act like he is drunk and he falls over when he shakes. The vet is quoting upwards of 8k for scans etc which we just cant afford. They put him on 4 weeks cage rest but it isn't really getting any better.

Has anyone else had a Frenchie with these problems? any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kel

Hi Guys,

We just got back after 4 weeks holiday and our French bulldog is lame.

At first we thought he might have had a tick bite but the person looking after him said it had been creeping on for the past 2 weeks (thanks for telling us!)

He's super energetic, walking 5km a day with us so he's very fit. We do not allow him to jump on/ off things or when playing with balls as we are aware the affect that this can have on their spines.

I think he's now got a neurological problem - his back legs act like he is drunk and he falls over when he shakes. The vet is quoting upwards of 8k for scans etc which we just cant afford. They put him on 4 weeks cage rest but it isn't really getting any better.

Has anyone else had a Frenchie with these problems? any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kel

Lameness can creep in due to a few things. Firstly how old is the Frenchie?

Secondly, Why are you walking a Frenchie 5 kms a day? They are not a breed built for this amount of walking. While he might be super fit and healthy in your eyes, damage can be done to his ligaments and joints which may become permenent. Not allowing him to jump on and off furniture is only part of the big picture. A French Bulldogs structure is very similar to a Bulldogs where their breed make up means they are not endurance dogs. Sure some dogs can be super fit but no way would I recommend 5kms a day for exercise. He may very well have a neurological problem and you will need to investigate this.Upwards of 8ks for scans, I suggest you approach another vet. It may be that he has serious pinched nerves in his spinal area.

Lets hope the damage is repairable. Good luck.

Thanks for getting back to me.

He's just turned 6yrs old.

From 18mnths we started to increase his walks around our local park, just a wandering pace but he's never shown any problems of wear and tear at check ups or we would of stopped it. He's got longer legs and a lean body so not carrying the same sort of weight as some of our friends Frenchies... who are carrying too much weight due to lack of exercise.

Something has happened while we have been away - the carer mentioned she had been letting him jump in and out of the car (ouch) so i'm concerned he's caused damage doing this.

I'm investigating other vets at the moment, hopefully it is something we can get fixed.

We've had Frenchies for years and never had any back or leg problems so it's hard to see something happening while we weren't here.

I'm sorry to hear about your story...

I too think that 5km's is such a long way for a little dude - fit or not! My guys are so tired after a walk around the block that we leave them at home and then go for a run ourselves!!!

Feel free to post in the Frenchie Thread as there are some breeders and experienced Frenchie owners that maybe able to assist you.