German Shepherd National 2012

freundhund

Long Stock Coat classes will now be held at this years National.

Entries now close 24th April to allow Long Stock Coated owners to send their entries in. *** THERE WIL BE NO LATE ENTRIES.****

NOTE: Judging will be at 8:00am Friday 18 May 2012 with the German Dog Judge Herr Albrecht Woerner SV.

*****Please note this only applies to Long Stock Coated animals which have already been assessed and had their registrations transferred before close of entry. EXCEPT for animals eligible to enter Open Dog or Open Bitch which are 2 years of age and over and have not yet been assessed there will be a Breed Survey at 3.00pm Thursday 17 May 2012 so that these animals can be entered.

Jacqueline Fabian

Publicity Officer GSDCA

This is a copy of the official notice about showing a GSD (Long Stock Coat Variety) at the 40th GSD National.

The GSDCA Executive together with the Newcastle & Hunter Region German Shepherd Dog, host club of 2012 National GSD Show & Trial (National) ask that you please convey to your members the following:

1. ALL Long Stock Coat (LSC) Classes are now offered at the National for registered LSC.

2. The closing date for entry has been extended by 1 week with ALL entries now closing on 25 April 2011.

3. Entry of LSC as with Stock Coats (SC) will ONLY be accepted if they have been registered on the Main register prior to close of entry: 25 April 2012.

4. There is an opportunity for registered LSC entered in the Open LSC Classes that is over 2 years of age and meets the criteria to be presented to the GSDCA National Breed Survey Scheme at the National. Please note the pre National Breed Survey will be held at 300 pm, Thursday 17 May, at the National venue. Application must be made to Secretary, N&HRGSDC by no later than 10 May 2012.

5. The Dog Judge will judge all LSC classes on Friday 18 May prior to judging Stock Coat (SC) Classes. (As per a recently passed 60 day motion)

6. All progeny (SC & LSC) of a sire will be included in Sires Progeny class provided the Sire meets the qualification to present a group at the National.

Edited by freundhund

I think it's fantastic that long coats are now being recognised and able to be shown. My first GSD back in the early 1990s was a long coat, a gorgeous boy with a delightful temperament and great conformation. But of course, being a long coat, we were relegated to the obedience ring only and even then, only on sufference as far as the GSD fraternity were concerned (lived in New Zealand at the time) - taking him to combined Breed/Obedience GSD shows was awful, we were literally shunned by the people showing in Breed, they used to like to pretend that long coat GSDs just didn't exist!! And yet I saw plenty of GSDs with horrible temperaments and dreadful conformation being run around the Breed ring, as they were normal (short) coats and could be shown, whereas my boy couldn't. The breeder we got our boy from told us that she used to drown any long coats in her litters because they were "worthless" :mad The only reason our boy survived was that we had contacted her before this particular litter was born and told her we were looking for a GSD for a pet rather than for show. Thankfully, other people who met our boy and loved him contacted her looking for long coat puppies so thankfully any that appeared in future litters were allowed to live and to go on to be loving family pets.

Good luck and I hope you get heaps of entries!

Edited by spikey

BB any long stock coat wanting to be shown needs to be verified and then placed on the ANKC's LSC register or born after 1/1/12 and put straight on to the register before they can be shown. This is a relatively new process and I don't think all states have had verification days.

edited for grammar

Edited by Heidley

Rottshowgirl,

LSC GSDs are pretty common. The LC gene is recessive and both parents have to carry it, and there are only a few stud dogs that dont carry the LC gene and therefore never produce a LC puppy.

It is only from 1st January 2012 that LSC have been recognised as a seperate variety and can now be shown and bred with, just like the SC.

This National will be the first to offer LSC classes. Really looking forward to it. :D