Lost Dogs Home

dogdogdog

I bumped into a girl that collects for the Lost Dogs Home who said did I like animals. Well what am I to say but of course! She said that she was collecting for ...The Lost Dogs Home... I spied the sign before she got to speak. Anyway I sort of said do you know how many dogs and cats get put down there? I said it was over 80%.

Anyway apparently that is all now changed she said that they save 25,000 each year and none are euthanised.

What a fantastic turnaround!!!

Yep, not sure where those figures come from. In 2010/2011, they euthanised the same proportion as were adopted out (18% euthanised, 18% adopted) and 57% were reclaimed. Those are figures for dogs. Granted, the 2010/11 figures are better than the previous year, when it euthanised 26% of dogs.

For cats the story is worse. In 2010/11, 86% of cats that entered the LDH were euthanised.

They also made a profit of $978,823.

Those figures are all from their annual report, which is publicly available.

I'd love for them to have turned around. But we're not there yet. :(

There are 15 dogs at North Melbourne on the LDH website for rehoming at the moment. This is from the biggest shelter with almost all the council contracts. Only one dog is over 2 years of age. Where are all the others? ChuckandSteve, people have been asking questions, offering to provide places in rescue to the dogs and wondering where all the donations go for a very long time. It just annoys me that someone collecting more money for them would provide such inaccurate information.

There are 15 dogs at North Melbourne on the LDH website for rehoming at the moment. This is from the biggest shelter with almost all the council contracts. Only one dog is over 2 years of age. Where are all the others? ChuckandSteve, people have been asking questions, offering to provide places in rescue to the dogs and wondering where all the donations go for a very long time. It just annoys me that someone collecting more money for them would provide such inaccurate information.

I did actually have words with the girl and told her what I actually thought of the LDH but she kept coming back at me. I said just google them and see what people are saying. And also check their website out as to how many dogs are currently up for adoption. It took all of my being not to shake her especially when she ended the conversation with "have a nice day". grrrrrrrrrr

I know what you mean, dogdogdog. I wrote a blog post thing about it on my website, and a woman I work with came over to speak to me about how her friend is a vet there, and really genuinely cares about the animals, etc. I don't doubt that she does; I don't doubt that most of their employees are wonderful people who are trying to do what they think is right. However, that doesn't mean that overall, it's an ok situation! :mad