Is There A Staffy Rescue?

1336030194[/url]' post='5820846']
1335908967[/url]' post='5819085']

Have to admit that I am biased against breeders, so I flatout assumed that someone who sells a puppy to someone thousands of kilometres away without having any idea what the puppy's home will be like is prolly not what I would consider a 'responsible breeder'

But yes, no harm in asking. Thanks for reminding me that my assumptions might very well be wrong. :)

Wow - assumption much?

Unless you know for a fact the dog was sold to these people "sight unseen" how do you know they didn't previously live right next door to the breeder in Queensland and bought the dog then?

I've sold dogs all over Australia and also to the USA, doesn't mean I don't want to know if any of mine are in trouble!

Hope the breeders do the right thing and if not, hope he finds the home he deserves!

Since the owner has been in Canberra since mid 20th century and has confirmed that he bought the pup "sight unseen" ... Nope. Not an assumption. :(Also, for a pedigree staffy, the dog is almost 10kg over the breed standard weight.I am not overly surprised to not have herd back from the breeder, quite honestly. As I said, I am biased, and I tend to be suspicious of all breeders until their action demonstrate that they are ethical and responsible.I personally think that is a very healthy scepticism, and is more people were as sceptic as i am, we'd have a lot less rescue pedigrees.

I would never buy a computer solely relying on the shop assistant telling me that it's the best computer ever, so why would I trust a breeder to make any judgment call on what breed/dog suits me best?Considering that a computer gets replaced every few years anyway though, while a dog lives 1-2 decades.Sadly, most people put much more research and consideration into buying a computer though...... :(

Hi, I'm really shocked about this dog's situation. Could you please keep us informed about what happens to him.

Just wondering if his name starts with an F. I understand if you don't want to say.

Don't really think that any personal info or names need to be shared on a public forum for all eternity. :)

Every Obedience Trialler between the South Coast and Sydney has probably heard the news by now, or at least has a pretty clear idea of what staffy this might be. :p

No need to be concerned though!

GREAT OUTCOME!!!

The Psychiatric Service Dog Association NSW's Board has overwhelmingly voted to take him on as assistance dog to be. Ownership has been transferred, he went up to Sydney yesterday, and has commenced his journey on becoming a lifesaver for someone who needs him desperately. Our dogs help sufferers from conditions such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, people on the Autism Spectrum. We also accredit dogs as medical alert dogs to wake up owners in cases of sleepwalking, night terrors or sleep apnea ('sis what my baby does)

He just really is the sweetest little staffy ever, and will be a little rock for someone in need.Once trained up, he and his new owner will complete a "public access test," and after successful completion, he will be an assistance dog under the Disability Discrimination Act and be with his person 24/7.

A perfect outcome for this super-sook!

I am super happy for him, and glad he is out of our house. He is absolutely lovely, but unfortunately my lil fella (less than a third of poor staffy's weight) and our cat (also less than 1/3 of staffy-pooch) made very clear that they do not want him as new member of the family and bullied him at every opportunity. :(

To they point where they physically kept him out of the house, unless I guided him in and made sure the two monsters would not beat him up every time he tried to get in.

But as I said, the best outcome I could have wished for.

Thanks everyone who offered to help!!!

Cheers!

((Edited cause the stupid iPad auto-correct doesn't even know "staffy" and messed it up in lots of different, wonderful ways))

Edited by Blossom78

1336030194[/url]' post='5820846']
1335908967[/url]' post='5819085']

Have to admit that I am biased against breeders, so I flatout assumed that someone who sells a puppy to someone thousands of kilometres away without having any idea what the puppy's home will be like is prolly not what I would consider a 'responsible breeder'

But yes, no harm in asking. Thanks for reminding me that my assumptions might very well be wrong. :)

Wow - assumption much?

Unless you know for a fact the dog was sold to these people "sight unseen" how do you know they didn't previously live right next door to the breeder in Queensland and bought the dog then?

I've sold dogs all over Australia and also to the USA, doesn't mean I don't want to know if any of mine are in trouble!

Hope the breeders do the right thing and if not, hope he finds the home he deserves!

Since the owner has been in Canberra since mid 20th century and has confirmed that he bought the pup "sight unseen" ... Nope. Not an assumption. :(Also, for a pedigree staffy, the dog is almost 10kg over the breed standard weight.I am not overly surprised to not have herd back from the breeder, quite honestly. As I said, I am biased, and I tend to be suspicious of all breeders until their action demonstrate that they are ethical and responsible.I personally think that is a very healthy scepticism, and is more people were as sceptic as i am, we'd have a lot less rescue pedigrees.

I would never buy a computer solely relying on the shop assistant telling me that it's the best computer ever, so why would I trust a breeder to make any judgment call on what breed/dog suits me best?Considering that a computer gets replaced every few years anyway though, while a dog lives 1-2 decades.Sadly, most people put much more research and consideration into buying a computer though...... :(

Well, I bought a pedigree pup sight unseen then took on another dog from the same breeder also sight unseen. Perfect dogs from an honourable and ethical breeder.

You don't like breeders because of what exactly other than some stupid half-assed idea that someone shouldn't buy a dog without seeing it first?

I applaud you taking on this dumped dog but you're not going to get very far by dumping on registered breeders especially on a purebred dog forum.

I would never be dumping on pedigree breeders - that would be against DOL rules. :PI am just saying that being an ANKC registered breeder does not say anything about a peron's ethics, morals, and niceness.And buyers should stop expecting every registered breeder to be a Santa cross Mother Theresa type of person.

I honestly applaud all breeders that are kind, do home assessments, carefully choose buyers, take dogs back. They are awesome folk. Really!But becoming an ANKC registered breeder does not involve a personality test.Not sure, but do you even need a police check to register a kennel name?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think our local RSPCA screens their volunteers a lot more thorough than the ANKC its registered breeders.Which, IMO, is a shame, because it devalues the ANKC tag, and ultimately damages the awesome, ethical, great breeders.

I am absolutely happy for breeders to disagree wth my opinion. Not like breeders depend on living up to my morals or anything. And I do not expect them to.

But I would not buy from a breeder that would willingly sell me a dog vie email and bank transfer,Without having any idea what home the pup gets. Because that alone would kinda demonstrate to me that they can't care that much...... :(

(and yes, when I looked not getting a dog, I contacted small-terrier breeders by email. I did the right thing and only went for ANKC registered breeders.I was appalled how many responded with emails of under 5 lines. Not asking ANY questionsabout me at all, but being all about price tags, showing modalities, and breeding rights)

I wouldn't trust a car dealer for the me fact that they have a car dealership license.As far as liability goes, car dealers are n a much shorter leash than dog breeders.I buy cars much more frequently than I buy dogs - to me it seems natural to me an informed decisionin both cases.Since I am much, much more attached to my dog than to my car, cannot imagine buying a dog without having met them, seen the premises of the breeder, being sure what happened in the first 6-8 weeks of their life.....

If people just transfer money and then pick up a pup a the airport, how can they possibly know the dog is"right" for them?