Puppys Energy Levels At 5mths

MishB

HI all,

I have a 5 mth old male Brittany pup and a nearly 3 yr old male GSD.

Im a bit curious as to how much energy my pup should have, he seems to be tired so much!

He is healthy, gets good quality dry food, plus supplements,eggs occasionally, bones, chicken frames etc, he is wormed once a month now, last wormed on the 1st of May.

He just doesnt seem active enough to me! I know this probably sounds crazy, I feel a bit nutty to actually be a bit concerned about it.

I walk him up to the local park (5 min) walk & then he get a free run around & playtime like tugging, fetch, intermingled with a bit of obedience, max time there is about 20 minutes. I take him to the school to pick the kids up a couple of days a week for socializing, plus we go to show training once a week, obedience once a week. I do a 5 min stint of play/training once or twice a day at home with both of my dogs. I walk my older dog seperately about 3/4 hr a day, although not everyday, I alternate who gets to go to the school, & to footy training. I only take them out together once a wk because it wears the pup out way too much, & I like them to go out seperately for one on one with me.

My puppy seems to be sleeping most of the day at the moment, & isnt as energetic as I thought he would be at this age. He is awake probably about 6 hrs a day?

I am thinking maybe its a growth spurt? I remember my shepherd being like the energiser bunny at 5 mths, so I thought this little guy would be hyper? They do play together a bit (probably an hr added up throughout the day).

is a normal activity level for a pup his age, its so hard to know.

Am I being an overreacting,neurotic, worrying over nothing type puppy parent??

They're all individuals.

Is he teething at the moment, that sometimes takes a lot out of them.

To me it sounds like he gets a lot of stimulation (good thing!) which wears out their brains, physical exercise isn't the only thing that makes a puppy tired.

Is he different in any way to what he was like last week? If this is a sudden thing a vet check (bloods, heart, urine) might be in order - if he's always been a more tired pup and seems normal in every other way then perhaps just wait and see.

Rogue sleeps all day, he has a good training session in the morning and another afternoon and In between he sleeps.. On weekends he doesn't sleep as much cause he just lays down and someone moves so he is up lol bet he hates weekends haha.. Sleeping is good they grow when they are asleep don't they :-)

At 5 months Arby slept a lot too. Excited play for a bit then out cold for a few hours, more playing, more sleep.

He was having 15-20min walks 3 or 4 times a week, and a short 5min training session once or twice a day - i really don't think he could have handled much more than that.

Maybe he is having a growth spurt, so that's why he is sleeping a lot?

All pups are different and grow differently. If you are really worried, take him to the vets for a proper check up and see what the vet think/says.

Hi I have been owned by two Brittany one I got when he was 8 weeks old his energy levels was high now I have another Brittany Bailey I got him when he was 6 months old and he was none stop even now he is 4 years old he is on the go but like everyone has said all dogs energy levels are different don't worry about you are blessed to have a dog that is quiet.

Kaye and Bailey